Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 04:16 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Something I\'ve Noticed

I get more respect for my raises out of the blinds than from any other position, including UTG. coincidence?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:19 AM

Default Re: Something I\'ve Noticed

You can't have a thoery w/o a hypothesis. Why do you think that is so?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 AM

Then make sure you raise JTs and all suited broadway out of the blinds.

Peace,
Joe Tall
Old 09-15-2004, 04:20 AM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

I do that already, thanks to you

happy birthday
Old 09-15-2004, 04:44 AM

Maybe people notice it more?

From the blinds, the raise will only put more money in, it won't really knock people out. So it's got to be good?

Maybe they think that raising anywhere else pf is often just an attempt to knock people out, rather than saying something about the quality of a hand?

Maybe it's just a blip and Sample Size Man needs to make an appearance?
Old 09-15-2004, 04:51 AM

I disagree. I think it's because most players don't raise much out of the blinds, so they assume for you to do it that you must have a good hand.

A similar concept is one that I read in Poker Essays II yesterday. Mason claims that habitual bluffers are almost very loose callers because they always think that their opponents are bluffing like they are.

I definitely think the way a player plays will give him a biased view of other players. if you're a very tight raise, raising only with AA and KK, then you'll look at your play as normal, but my play as maniacal. If you're raising with AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, and AQ consistently then you'll look at the guy raising with AA or KK as passive. it's all a matter of perspective. if an opponent views raising out of the blinds as something that you should only do with AA, then he's going to assume you have a very strong hand.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:02 AM

Is this something you've noticed upon immediately sitting down at the table, or after you have been at the table for a while?

If you have been there for a while, I'm sure they will have noticed you raising from many different positions, and I'm not sure why your big blind raises would get any different respect. If they are used to raising only AA and KK and see you raising all over the place, by that logic won't they think you are a maniac?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:15 AM

it's something I've noticed for a while, but when I'm playing I like to make random posts to see what people say, so I decided to post it tonight. I figure maybe every once in a while it'll start a good discussion
Old 09-15-2004, 05:47 AM

Having seen his PFR stats he isnt as much of a maniac as I thought, most people only raise form the blinds with AA-KK and AK, therefore they only think you do it with that. So you can get away with raises with other hands and get respect for it.

Also the reverse is probably true a raise from the blinds from and ABC player more likely means a monster hand so be aware of that.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:21 PM

Most people are tighter when raising from the blinds, than any other position.