Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Getting raised when you think you\'re best

This is a general question while thinking of Nate's hand that he posted today against a LAG-

Suppose you have a hand that you're almost positive is best- say top two or a set, against a PFR. Call it a set of sevens on a 47Q board with a flush draw. You then bet out, and get raised by the PFR. What's your default play here? Do you 3bet immediately? Call and checkraise the turn? Stop and go, hoping to get a 3bet in? I normally call and checkraise the turn, but I started thinking that perhaps the stop and go might be worth a shot as well against certain opponents.
Old 09-14-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Getting raised when you think you\'re best

I usually call/checkraise, but I think I'll try the stop 'n go next time, see how it goes -- certainly against an aggressive player it might get an extra bet. Against more passive players, probably the checkraise is best . . . ?
Old 09-14-2004, 06:45 PM

I will usually only go for the checkraise here when I am against someone who I am very confident will again bet the turn. I have seen flush draws raise here many times hoping to get a free river card.

So to answer, sometimes three bet/sometimes stop and go. Occasionally check raise the turn against certain players.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:30 PM

My default if I'm first to act is to 3 bet immediately. Stop and go in this situation gives up one bet. Going for the checkraise is ok if you *know* he will bet the turn but often they raise the flop to get a free card on the turn. This is especially true if he's on the draw.

If I am 2nd to act and have been checkraised on the flop then I am more likely to just call because now he has to act first on the turn.

In short I play pretty straightforward against most opponents to get the most bets in on a longterm basis.

I *hate* going for the checkraise and having it checked behind me. It's like "there goes a big bet down the toilet that I'll never see again."