Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Assuming LAG never stops, how many bets do you put in on the turn+river (no river cap)?
3-4 4 23.53%
5-6 3 17.65%
7-8 2 11.76%
9-10 5 29.41%
11-12 0 0%
13-14 0 0%
I go to the felt (15+). 3 17.65%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2004, 04:34 PM

Default Do You Use Auto Actions Or Wait To Your Turn?

My friend and I have had this discussion many times and we both argue opposite points.

I use the buttons on Empire to auto do my action when the decision is going to be obvious such as Ts-As with the "Raise" button clicked. I also have the "Fold" clicked with like 64o.

Now my friend likes to wait no matter what till it's his turn then to choose an action.

The debate goes heavily into hands that we are both going to PFR. Neither of us use the "Raise Any" button as find this just stupid to show that much aggression even if that will be our action. So let's say we are in MP2 both with AA. I have the "Raise" button clicked. So if it's folded around to me it will immediately raise when it gets to me. My friend will wait till it's to him then raise. He says by my auto raise it looks like I have "AA" every time probably to the average player. Also if it's a raise in front of us and both of us will 3 bet, my button is on "Raise" for an immediate effect and he will wait to 3 bet.

Same thing on flop, if I know my action, and it's checked to me after a PFR, it will immediately bet when it gets to me. My argument is I will do this when I have it or don't have it regardless. So if someone is always putting me on AK, they may call with bottom pair say screw that auto bet or maybe even raise me back. My friend says it will look too strong and people will be likely to fold a hand that he might get to call with his non-immediate bet.

So does anyone side one way or another. And my friend and I also discuss does it really matter either way that it actually makes a difference.

PS: I have no idea why the quotes in my post come up as "
Old 09-14-2004, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Do You Use Auto Actions Or Wait To Your Turn?

I usually use it for the most part except for NL (obviously auto min-raising does nothing).

Preflop I usually use auto-actions with the exception of playing speculative hands in late position that depend on the number of players already in pot. In that case I wait until it's my turn before doing anything.

The only time I take note of someone taking their time is when they take an extraordinarly long time to call a raise, then I take it as a weak sign on their part. Then again I've been trapped the same way too, so it may be because of multi-tabling or tactics.

Edit: Oh yeah I also uncheck my auto-action if a lot of people are folding so I can try to steal blinds.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:21 PM

I use auto fold and check/fold all the time...anything else I usually wait my turn to decide.

Occasionally I'll use raise any or check to mislead my opponents (because raise any implies strength and check makes it look like you have check/fold selected suggesting weakness). Generally speaking, against the opponents I play against they aren't observant enough to notice this sort of thing so I only do it against regulars who I know are "thinking" players.

J
Old 09-14-2004, 10:46 PM

Generally I only use auto fold (not check fold). If I am going to fold I don't give any information away by clicking it in advance. Occasionally, mainly in tournies, I will intentionally wait to fold just so when I am thinking and bet or raise it does not reveal any information (well, less information).
Old 09-14-2004, 10:49 PM

The only auto action I use is the preflop fold button. Then again, I only 2-table, so I'm rarely in a hurry.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:17 PM

I almost never use the auto action buttons. It's not always a tell, but I do have it marked in my notes that some people use it and use it only on big hands.

So if I get auto raised, or auto re-raised by a player I have marked for doing this with big hands, I'm usually have a good idea what I'm up against
Old 09-15-2004, 12:16 AM

are there really very many situations in poker where you are sure of what you want to do with a hand regardless of the previous action?

there aren't for me. the only time I use the auto button are to fold bad hands in early position (bad hands can become playable someimtes when folded to in LP) preflop.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:03 AM

As mentioned, I autoplay insta-folds preflop. Occaisionally in other auto-fold or auto-check situations (ie: pushes there's no way I can call).

I'll also auto-check when I'm slowplaying monsters (particularly in the blinds) since it really gives the impression you got nothing and you're hoping for free cards/a cheap showdown.

OTOH, waiting a long time before making an oversized bet/push virtually guarantees a call or two from fishy opponents (particularly after a slowplay as above).
Old 09-15-2004, 02:05 AM

If someone PFRes and I have JJ I will 3 bet no matter the action.
Old 09-15-2004, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If someone PFRes and I have JJ I will 3 bet no matter the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

what if a tight player raises and another tight player 3 bets. I fold jacks here.

I know this comes up like once in a milion but still.