Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Gore\'s comments in the New Yorker

Even though I am a Republican and a Bush supporter, I took offense at Cheney's recent comments concerning the likelihood of another terrorist attack should the country decide to elect John Kerry. The comments went over the line.

However, in the interests of equal time, here are some recent quotes from Al Gore from an article in this month's New Yorker magazine.

Gore, in the newest issue of The New Yorker, says, "The real distinction of this presidency is that, at the core, [Bush] is a very weak man. ... His weakness is a moral weakness. I think he is a bully, and like all bullies, he's a coward when confronted with a force that he's fearful of [such as] ... wealthy interest groups."

In addition, Gore says that President Bush's faith is, "the American version of the same fundamentalist impulse that we see in Saudi Arabia, in Kashmir, in [many] religions around the world."

These comments are outrageous and over the top, particularly the comments about Bush's faith. I can't believe that Gore and a number of other Democrats continue to make negative comments about Bush's religious beliefs.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:51 PM

Default Nolo contendere

Gore, in the newest issue of The New Yorker, says, "The real distinction of this presidency is that, at the core, [Bush] is a very weak man. ... His weakness is a moral weakness. I think he is a bully, and like all bullies, he's a coward when confronted with a force that he's fearful of [such as] ... wealthy interest groups."

Well. I would say Al got a very interesting explanation about some of the President's personality traits. Would fit right in with the silver-spoon-fed profile too. Why are you complaining? Men with inferiority complexes can be very cerative as well. (Just wait for the debates.)

"Gore says that President Bush's [Christian] faith is, "the American version of the same fundamentalist impulse that we see in Saudi Arabia, in Kashmir, in [many] religions around the world."

Bulls eye for Gore! If the bully/coward comment was a speculation, this one is a slam dunk fact. What's there to dispute? (Ever seen a John Ashcroft press conference? Or read reports about Ashcroft's prayers? They'll be out on DVD soon, packaged with some Stephen King stuff.)
Old 09-09-2004, 01:58 PM

Default Re: Nolo contendere

[ QUOTE ]
Bulls eye for Gore! If the bully/coward comment was a speculation, this one is a slam dunk fact. What's there to dispute? (Ever seen a John Ashcroft press conference? Or read reports about Ashcroft's prayers? They'll be out on DVD soon, packaged with some Stephen King stuff.)

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. The first quote was stupid but the second was spot on.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:31 PM

Default Oh Grow Up

These sentiments are not just Gore's but those of millions of informed Americans and others all over the world (Bush is like "a child running around with a grenade with the pin pulled out" according to a former conservative cabinet member). IMO, they're well-grounded and bear emphasizing. Cheney's statements, OTOH, are blackmail: "vote for me or you'll be killed," barely a notch above "vote for me or I'll kill you."

But more to the point, if Gore believes the descriptions apt, why shouldn't he say them? Where's the rule that says you can't describe the President as weak, mean and cowardly?

You're endorsing the idea of the President as Pharoah, a divinity about whom expressions of contempt are blasphemy. We can disagree and even criticize, but we must do so carefully, in qualified and polite language, preferably toward the floor as we lie prostrate before His magnificence. If you think I'm joking look at some of the "arguments" offered against Bush's critics in the spate of right-wing tracts in the chain bookstores. They're dominated by quotes of outrage against Bush left hanging and unexamined. Right-wing righters get away with this because they know their readers believe that any forceful criticism of Bush or "our country" amounts to mendacity, case closed.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:40 PM

Bulls eye for Gore! If the bully/coward comment was a speculation, this one is a slam dunk fact. What's there to dispute?

I would hate to upset you in case you didnt know - but the U.S. was attacked a few years ago and a tremendous number of people died.

I am sorry if you hadnt heard that yet as I hate to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:49 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.
Default Re: Gore\'s comments in the New Yorker

Four years from now we will hear of similar quotes from John Kerry, and we will say "Boy, I'm glad we didn't elect that guy."
Old 09-09-2004, 07:12 PM

Default Re: Gore\'s comments in the New Yorker

"Boy, I'm glad we didn't elect that guy."

Funny, i thought exactly the same thing when half a million more americans voted for gore the first time around.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would hate to upset you in case you didnt know - but the U.S. was attacked a few years ago and a tremendous number of people died.

[/ QUOTE ]
So what would a bully and a coward do about that? He'd attack a country that couldn't defend against a U.S. takeover, whose central government was so weak it had ceded control over half the country, who had no weapons of mass destruction and who had no collaborative relationship with al Qaeda. He'd lie to terrify the public into supporting it and he'd kill three times as many civilians than perished on 9/11/01.

That's what a bully and a coward would do, and that's what George W. Bush did.
Old 09-10-2004, 02:12 AM

Hi welcher,
9/11 sure did happen while chicken hawk Bush did nothing to stop it. He had only been warned a month before in a brief entitled "Bin Laden determined to attack within the United States." That brief outlined that the terrorists would use hijacked planes and fly them into buildings.

Your Fuhrer is an inept coward.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:10 AM

the beauty of you joker is just as soon as some anti bush fellow makes a good point... good enough to make me think further about it... u come along and straighten me out. ty