Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2001, 01:36 AM

Default [url]www.twoplustwo[/url] !!\"Job Well Done\"

Dear David, Mason,Ray et all,

I some how got out of the habit of following twoplustwo a year or so ago. And I am so pleased that on returning to see the excellent progress you have made. Twoplustwo has really developed into superior forum. There is another web sight that I use to follow called RG. I can't remember how many times a new student of the game has asked a sincere question, on that web sight, about the theory of poker, only to get 10 or 15 posting in response all either mocking him on his lack of ,or making jokes at the poster's expense. And I have repeatedly read new poster's responses of " I thought that this was a serious web sight, I won't bother you again". Years ago that web sight was very popular but now it has markedly deteriorated. As you know in poker most of the players are fine people, but there is a small minority of looser. Sadly it seems that, that web sight has become dominated by some of the sadder members of our game. I noticed that several of their posters have been complaining that their posts have been removed from you forum. Having read other examples of their posting and the contempt that they hold for the other players in game, if you are deleting offensive postings Please Keep It Up. They also have other complaints, like about the pop ups, but if the pop ups help make it possible to have this excellent web sight that's fine by us.

The one thing that I miss are the general questions like "where is a good place to play and stay in Reno", or "What games are they posting at the Mirage?" Someday maybe you will find a way to include topics of that nature to your forum. But for now,you are doing a great job.And your web sight has become a very valuable asset to our game. I especially appreciate it that Dave, Mason and Ray take time out of their valuable lives to answer so many postings. Thank you again for a job well done.

Best wishes,

Octavian
Old 11-08-2001, 03:13 AM

Default Re: [url]www.twoplustwo[/url] !!\"Job Well Done\"

We appreciate the comments and we do our best to assure that the quality of these forums stays at the high level.
Old 11-08-2001, 10:23 AM

Octavian,

Good post and I agree.

You wrote: The one thing that I miss are the general questions like "where is a good place to play and stay in Reno", or "What games are they posting at the Mirage?" Someday maybe you will find a way to include topics of that nature to your forum. But for now,you are doing a great job.And your web sight has become a very valuable asset to our game. I especially appreciate it that Dave, Mason and Ray take time out of their valuable lives to answer so many postings. Thank you again for a job well done.

The Exchange a.k.a. Other Topics forum was supposed to cover this type of thing but as it turned out it is mostly poker players talking about or arguing about politics, movies, good books, philosophy ray zee fish stories and other stuff. I think it is a great forum but perhaps it should be clearly named the "Poker Players Sound Off on Other Topics" forum or something like that. A new forum could be called the Poker News forum. Note however that RGP is strong in this area.

I do hope the archives get rebuilt and a search feature is added.

Regards,

Rick

PS Help out Chuck and test out the new software in the Test Forum
Old 11-08-2001, 12:24 PM

I must have missed your contribution to the Test Forum.
Old 11-08-2001, 01:54 PM

Default Mason, something I always wondered about

Why "twoplustwo" instead of something with "poker" in the title? What is the significance, if any, of two plus two?

Papio
Old 11-08-2001, 03:09 PM

Default My negative experience at RGP

This forum is the best and brightest, and is usually the only one I follow.

I too had a negative experience the first time I posted on RGP. I tried to design a hand to serve as an example for a column that Mike Caro had written. I titled the post "An Example Hand for Mike Caro." My set of 10 hold'em hands plus the flop was supposed to have the characteristic that the leader on the flop had zero chance of winning on the river.

Frankly, I botched the design badly. About 10 or 20 RGP regulars, led by Barbara Yoon, had a grand time chopping me up and making fun of me. There was NO "welcome to RGP" or "thanks for trying" from Mike or anyone else. I took a long time before venturing another post there.

By contrast, when I started posting here, usually 1-3 stud hands, I was welcomed, and senior posters and the authors were perfectly willing to work with me. That has not changed over the 5 years or so that I have been here. With you guys' help, I have worked my way up to 6-12 level in hold'em and stud hi/lo/8, and I have written a series of essays on low limit poker on my poker page (below).

Keep up the good work.

Dick Astrom, "in Phoenix"
Old 11-08-2001, 03:13 PM

Default Re: Mason, something I always wondered about

The name came from the cover design of my book Gambling Theory and Other Topics. When the first edition was done in 1987 I wanted to put a mathematical equation on the cover and came up with the idea of putting 2 + 2 = 4 with card pictures. When the 1989 edition came out the cover was done by a professional artist and we liked it so much that it became our name and logo.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:57 PM

Default test

Dave,

I just visited your site. Good info. Below is my attempt to insert an Ace of Spades into my post. If you see it, it worked. If not...

PG

Old 11-08-2001, 04:04 PM

Default Re: test

one more try...

Old 11-08-2001, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Mason, something I always wondered about

As long as we're asking I've always wondered if there is any significance to the hand on the cover of HPFAP. I always theorized that it was an odd hand David Sklansky and yourself played out at some time, but I realize it's probably not as ironic as all that. I would like to know if there's any significance though.