Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 02:57 AM

Default They burn people don\'t they

I had thought of posting the following essay (by Bertrand Russell, early 1950s) in continuation of some thoughts I had posted about in another thread but Rick's new post prompted me to post it now. The essay is about ten pages. It is well worth reading whether you agree with the ideas or conclusions. The main themes are troubling but very timely. Religious and economic themes are flushed out and nationalism is also discussed.

Below is an excert from this essay that may prompt some comments.

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the evils that men inflict on each other, and by resection upon themselves, have their main source in evil passions rather than in ideas or beliefs. But ideas and principles that do harm are, as a rule, though not always, cloaks for evil passions. In Lisbon when heretics were publicly burnt, it sometimes happened that one of them, by a particularly edifying recantation, would be granted the boon of being strangled before being put into the flames. This would make the spectators so furious that the authorities had great difficulty in preventing them from lynching the penitent and burning him on their own account. The spectacle of the writhing torments of the victims was, in fact, one of the principal pleasures to which the populace looked forward to enliven a somewhat drab existence. I cannot doubt that this pleasure greatly contributed to the general belief that the burning of heretics was a righteous act.

[/ QUOTE ]

Link to essay:
Ideas That Have Harmed Mankind

-Zeno
Old 09-08-2004, 03:37 AM

Default Re: They burn people don\'t they

I am somewhat curious if they burned child heretics.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:45 AM

Default Re: They burn people don\'t they

[ QUOTE ]
I am somewhat curious if they burned child heretics.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is an interesting question. It is late so will try to find information tomorrow. As a side theological note, John Calvin preached infant damnation. But that is another topic.

-Zeno
Old 09-08-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Ein führer

All religions, like serious childhood diseases, have been guilty of killing scores of people - men, women and children - and in many ways, including the most horrible ways. By far, the religions most guilty of causing death and destruction , have been the monotheistic religions.

You know which ones I'm talking about.

We should be moving fast from that phase in our evolution already but we seem to be stuck - stuck like a middle age man who can't shake off the measles.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Ein führer

"All religions, like serious childhood diseases, have been guilty of killing scores of people - men, women and children - and in many ways, including the most horrible ways."

I have never read nor heard of anyone being killed in the name of, or for, or by, Taoism.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:31 AM

Taoism is more of a philosophy than a religion. Though it does have 'religious' aspects to it. Whether it is a religion by a strict definition I do not know. If you take religion to mean a set of beliefs or principles to help guide you through the path of life then Taoism certainly qualifies.

Taoism is akin to and has elements of Confucianism in it as Confucianism has elements of Taoism. The concept of god or a god or gods is not a central tenet of either. Which is one reason why, in my opinion, it is on the bubble of being a religion and also why it steers away from becoming fanatical or too dogmatic, or why it is rare (if at all) to find its adherents engaging in killing others for being heretics or infidels and so on.

Taoist temples however, have beings that are worshiped or respected, I suppose these beings can be conceived of as Gods but I doubt if they are considered so in the western concept. And demons are also believed in. But all that is rather complicated and stems from ancient beliefs of the Chinese. I have been to a number of Taoist temples in Taiwan. I prayed (light incense) to some fabricated dolls (many are very, very old) that represented transcendent people or beings - As best as I can understand it. It becomes very complicated because in the temples worship is such an amalgamation of different things, including divination and belief in ghosts; evil spirits etc. that probably have little to do with the more traditional Taoist thought of say Lao Tzu.

-Zeno
Old 09-09-2004, 04:40 AM

The disease eats at humanity in a terrilble way. The other thread about shooting children leaned over into the political direction and dimensions and bogged down into the swamp of specfic actions by Leaders etc so I am steering clear of it. I have lost interest.

-Zeno
Old 09-09-2004, 05:23 AM

Default Executive summary

Good post.

But you lost him after the word "philosophy".

[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Re: Executive summary

"Good post.

But you lost him after the word "philosophy".
"

Lol, Smartass; I have very likely read more books on/of Taoism and Buddhism than anyone on these forums.

By the way, it i erroneous to claim that Taoism and Buddhism are not religions but philosophies only.
Old 09-10-2004, 03:29 AM

Default Executive summer

"I have very likely read more books on/of Taoism and Buddhism than anyone on these forums."

Quite an un-Zen like attitude this, but if you say so.

By the way [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img], what is a book of Buddhism? (A book that's been blessed by you, perhaps?..)

"It is erroneous to claim that Taoism and Buddhism are not religions but philosophies only."

Zeno did not once mention the word "Buddhism" in his post explaining things to you! You are trying to shift again, but, as always, Zen master, you fall down with a thud.

(Get up quickly and pretend it's part of the routine.)

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]