Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2004, 01:38 AM

Default Is this ok? (nines)

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (3.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (7.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks.

Final Pot: 7.50 BB
Old 09-08-2004, 05:48 AM

Default Re: Is this ok? (nines)

Timely thread; I was doing some analysis of these sort of situations yesterday.

I am sure that everyone agrees with PFR, flop bet and turn bet but then you are raised. What next?

You are not going away so call or reraise? I don't think anyone here can tell you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] This must be dependent on the player. QQ or JJ is unlikely with no PFR but there are lots of other hands you are behind that UTG might have limped with. Despite clubs; tens and a possible "tainted 9", they do not add up to enough outs to reraise for value and HE is going nowhere either for one more bet. Unless this guy has shown himself to raise draws nearly every time in this spot, I just call.

River; this is where there analysis I was doing comes in. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] People do not play random cards (well, OK some do seem to). However against one (random) opponent with 4 clubs available that give them a better hand than yours, the odds are 17% that they will have one. How likely is it that they have a hand with T,J,K or A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in it that they would limp in with preflop?

I suspect that this might be a value bet on the river, since you lose an extra 1 if you are wrong (bet/raise/call)and will win 1 if they check behind and would have called a bet. They might not even raise T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or might raise you with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] so I think there is value here.

Anyone else? I would appreciate others views on this river play.

trevor
Old 09-08-2004, 06:53 AM

I like to bet the river, i'm not sure if its right but I think it is, imo the river check is a show of weakness, I think you'll see 2pair, a smaller flush or a Qx and Jx enough times to make it for value. I think anyone with a decent sized flush would bet the river because they'd be afraid you'd check it through, so bet that river.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:31 AM

Bet the river.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suspect that this might be a value bet on the river, since you lose an extra 1 if you are wrong (bet/raise/call)and will win 1 if they check behind and would have called a bet. They might not even raise T or might raise you with 7 so I think there is value here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's clear everyone likes betting the river, but what if I'm raised?
Old 09-08-2004, 12:40 PM

Usually call, but rest assured you won't be raised that much. Most players won't raise you without the A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], and almost none will raise you with the J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] or T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
Old 09-08-2004, 04:12 PM

and do what do a raise?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:37 PM

Default He had KhQd by the way...n/m

Old 09-08-2004, 04:45 PM

Default Re: He had KhQd by the way...n/m

call the raise and cry