Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2001, 09:55 PM

Default My final post

This is my final post.

While my passion for poker goes back many years and probably will continue for many more, priorities change. I will not be devoting as much time to poker as I once did, and one activity I am dropping is my participation in this forum.

I have learned from members of this group, and I hope some of you have learned from me as well. There are two general points I have emphasised over the years.

First, if a subject is important to you (whether it be poker, photography, or foreign policy), then strive to achieve a solid understanding of that issue rather than simply accept the opinions of some "authority." Develop your own expertise rather than rely on the expertise of others. Experts can be mistaken. You also can misinterpret them, misapply their views, or simply forget what they said. And situations will arise that they have not addressed. Why not bring your own wisdom to bear on the questions at hand?

Second, keep an open mind while you learn. Consider different points of view--indeed, seek them out. Occasionally, "think outside the box." If you understand a subject, you should be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I offer my thanks to those who caused me to think about poker in new ways. Many thanks, also, to those who read my posts with open minds. And thanks to those who disagreed with my views in a civil manner.

I am especially grateful to my "editor." I never actually have posted to this forum. For various reasons, I always send my comments to a friend. My friend sometimes posts these comments unchanged, sometimes makes a few finishing touches, and sometimes performs major surgery. More are more often, I have sent sketchy outlines or one-sentence ideas for my "editor" to fill out and post. Occasionally, my friend (with permission) has written entire "Mark Glover" posts without any input from me.

Farewell.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:24 PM

Default Re: My final post

Please tell your editor that he/she will be missed.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:03 AM

sorry to see you go as sometimes your stuff was really thought inducing. but im surprised that you didnt write the posts, so what i see from this is that you really were a fraud. you didnt even write what you wrote in content. shame.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:08 PM

Default Farewell, Mr Glover

Of course, I could be talking to your editor here!..
Old 10-23-2001, 01:36 PM

Default Jeeez, lighten up guys

So the guy had an editor. So what? The thoughts were his. Anyone who has written a book has had an editor, does that make those authors frauds? Of course not, so why does that make Mark a fraud?

Let's not flame people who make/made contributions. We are all worse off for the ones we lose because of it.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Jeeez, lighten up guys

Am I to understand that 2+2 books don't use editors? And if they do, the authors are frauds? That's too bad, I really like their books....
Old 10-23-2001, 06:20 PM

Default Sincerely, etc

The farewell was not in jest. And my "editor" joke was just a joke.

For all I know, the author of Mark Glover's posts could have been a Stephen Hawking. All I care is what I read. And despite the obnoxious nature of many posts signed Mark Glover, his was good stuff , IMHO.
Old 10-23-2001, 06:36 PM

Good luck. You were good for the forum.

JG
Old 10-23-2001, 10:47 PM

Default Clarifying my role

Some readers appear to have misunderstood my role in the "Mark Glover" posts. Please allow me to clarify.

First and foremost, I was a conduit between Mark and 2+2. Since he preferred to remain anonymous (including his IP address), Mark sent his material to me, and I posted it on this forum.

If I didn't have much spare time (and the writing was adequate), then I'd simply post his article unaltered.

If I did have some time (and the writing needed a little help), then I might make a few minor changes to enhance its readability.

Occasionally, I might fail to understand some of Mark's passages or find them confusing. We would discuss them, and either he or I would do some major rewriting. I believe this review process yielded better posts--clearer, better organized, and more logical.

For many years, Mark also has taught me about poker. Earlier, it clearly was a tutor/student relationship. Over time, though, I've also been able to explain some new ideas to him.

As Mark gained trust in my analysis (and found less time to write), he sometimes just sent me a basic outline and let me compose the 2+2 post. Other times, our poker discussions produced ideas that Mark wanted to share with 2+2 readers, and he would ask me to put it into words and post it.

Without this collaboration, there would have been fewer "Mark Glover" articles on this forum. I believe this would have been a shame, although I understand it might have delighted some forum participants.

I also want to make it clear that, while my "editorial" relationship with Mark was greatly rewarding, I received no monetary rewards. I volunteered my efforts and am thankful for having had the opportunity.

I find Mark to be an excellent writer, an incredible teacher, and a wonderful friend. I will miss working with him on the "2+2 Project."
Old 10-23-2001, 11:03 PM

While my passion for poker goes back many years and probably will continue for many more, priorities change. I will not be devoting as much time to poker as I once did, and one activity I am dropping is my participation in this forum.

my "editor." I never actually have posted to this forum. For various reasons, I always send my comments to a friend

1)you take yourself too seriously. its just an internet forum.

2) if you would just bust out some posts rather than go thrugh this whole editing process, etc. it wouldnt take so much of your time to contribute here, and you could continue to do so.