Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2004, 03:05 AM

Default Argument between a friend and myself. Need opinions.

OK, so my friend is playing a $10 + 1 SnG on PP. Theres 5 people left. He has around 500 in chips, and the BB is going to be raised on the next hand to 100, so stack is 5x BB. He just lot a big multiway pot with his Aces cracked against a set of 10s, who called an all-in preflop.

He is in UTG+1 or MP, gets Qh 6h, and raises all in. He says its a good play and he is trying to steal the blinds and draw to a flush, since the blinds will eventually eat him. I say he's on tilt and this is a horrible play. He can at least wait until A-x, a pair, or a couple of high cards.

What do you guys think?
Old 09-05-2004, 03:38 AM

Default Re: Argument between a friend and myself. Need opinions.

tilt!
Old 09-05-2004, 12:04 PM

Default Weak Play

Weak play. In this situation you need to double up, not steal the blinds.

You want a hand that plays well heads-up and all-in. Q-6 isn't the hand you're looking for.

Being suited all-in is very over rated, but it tends to entice players because it looks so pretty.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:06 PM

If the blinds are going up to 50/100, that means they're 25/50 now, which means he's risking his stack for a 75T pickup.

If the blinds had already gone up I think this play is ok, though.

I don't know that he needs to wait for an ace, or other big cards. The blinds are about to suck 150T out of him. It's better to play while you still have a small amount of fold equity, and doubling up still means something.

Ax isn't necessarily a great hand here, IMO - it increases your chances of being dominated.
Old 09-05-2004, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, so my friend is playing a $10 + 1 SnG on PP. Theres 5 people left. He has around 500 in chips, and the BB is going to be raised on the next hand to 100, so stack is 5x BB. He just lot a big multiway pot with his Aces cracked against a set of 10s, who called an all-in preflop.

He is in UTG+1 or MP, gets Qh 6h, and raises all in. He says its a good play and he is trying to steal the blinds and draw to a flush, since the blinds will eventually eat him. I say he's on tilt and this is a horrible play. He can at least wait until A-x, a pair, or a couple of high cards.

What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

Awful.