Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2004, 07:54 AM

Default Fun with King high

There was no chance of a raise behind me unless someone had a premium hand. BB and UTG had shown that they can make dreadful flop calls with any undercards.

Generally I bet the turn and fold to a raise, but this time I did not.

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (5 handed) converter

Preflop: lil' is MP with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, lil' calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (4 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB folds, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">lil' bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds.

Turn: (3 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, lil' checks.

River: (3 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, lil' calls.

Final Pot: 5 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
lil' shows Kd 8d (two pair, aces and sixes).
BB shows Jh 3d (two pair, aces and sixes).
Outcome: lil' wins 5 BB. </font>
Old 09-03-2004, 08:48 AM

Default Re: Fun with King high

I generally don't play K8s from anywhere but the button, and I don't think it's worth taking a shot at the flop with such a small pot, raise behind you or not. I also don't understand checking the turn if you're going to call on the river, but from your intro it sounds like you don't either.

Cool showdown.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:03 AM

K-8s was good enough against these guys, believe me. If I hit anyhting I will get paid off the whole way, sometimes in multiple spots. There wasn't much point in raising, because I had 0 chance to fold anyone, so limping seemed right.

On the flop, why not take a shot? You have to sometimes, and I seriously thought against those two clowns that I may have the best hand.

I don't know what to say about the turn, cuz I wonder if I should have bet. I pretty much figured he had a one card flush draw and that I had no chance of making him fold. I also figured if he did have a little pair he wasn't folding that either.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:20 AM

Even if there's no chance you can make him fold, if you're going to continue I'd bet the turn and check-through the river, since your hand has showdown value and he has at least 6 outs.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:26 AM

Obviously!

It's amazing that I can convince myself to make the wrong play when I know what the right thing to do is!

Thanks.