Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2001, 07:48 PM

Default poker genius

ok, so a little bit ago, Sredni Vashtar emerged from the deep mysterious cave he resides in and posted an interesting thought. it was about the possible link between creative/artistic (musical specifically) proficiency and great intuitive poker skills. there was not much response to this, and i wanted to bring it up again, to see what everybody thought about the idea. is it valid? is it more than valid? how many of you out there play an instrument? which one? do you think there is a relationship between your musical skills and your poker skills?
Old 09-06-2001, 08:16 PM

Default Re: poker genius

I was very active in High School and in fact recieved First Chair at Regionals for Alto-sax 1. I played (with mixed results) drums and base. If I wasn't tone deaf I probably would have made something of myself.

Lets see some musical skills: [] recognizing harmoneous relationships [] Finding a small disharmoneous note that when tweaked a little changes a harsh dischord into a pleasant chord [] Maintaining tempo and rythm helps continuity of presense and prediction for the future [] Hearing the forest while looking at the trees [] Discipline, focus, practice, and skill.

Yes.

- Louie
Old 09-06-2001, 08:28 PM

I do not play an instrument. However, I can't help but notice the beautiful and musical quality of Sredni's words...very poetic, with soft hidden rhythms. Does Sredni know Izmet? Izmet used to post sometimes beautifully too.
Old 09-06-2001, 08:39 PM

I have a set of TAMA's, and I'm a good poker player. So, yes, I believe there could be a connection. I'm not sure though.

that is all,

dannyboy )
Old 09-06-2001, 09:10 PM

Hey! I got TAMA's too! Superstar, '83, cherry, still looking and sounded great after 2000+ gigs.

And a seven-foot Baldwin Grand. And a Martin guitar. And these really cool little shakers that look like fruit.

If a connection between poker and music exists, I think it comes not from the music itself, or even the act of playing it, but rather, from the puzzle-like nature of playing and learning music, and the openmindedness-in-action that results.

Tommy
Old 09-06-2001, 09:36 PM

Default Looking for a connection where there isn\'t one.

Written by Louie Landale:

Lets see some musical skills: [] recognizing harmoneous relationships [] Finding a small disharmoneous note that when tweaked a little changes a harsh dischord into a pleasant chord [] Maintaining tempo and rythm helps continuity of presense and prediction for the future [] Hearing the forest while looking at the trees [] Discipline, focus, practice, and skill.

All the same things could be said (with slight adjustments) about playing chess.

If you're trying to find a connection, you're likely to see one even if it isn't there.
Old 09-06-2001, 10:18 PM

Default Re: Looking for a connection where there isn\'t one

"If you're trying to find a connection, you're likely to see one even if it isn't there." Very true. But its also true that if you are NOT looking for a connection you are unlikely to find it even if it IS there.

Never-the-less, you basically hit the mark.

- Louie
Old 09-06-2001, 10:54 PM

I have a set of Pearls, Latin Percussion Congas and Timbales .. and I've been on a real bad streak for a month .. Maybe being a drummer doesn't count ..
Old 09-06-2001, 11:16 PM

Default A classic

And I'm allowed to say this because I am one.

What do you call a guy who hands around with four musicians?

A drummer.
Old 09-07-2001, 07:45 AM

If this musical thing is true would "skin flute" proficiency count? If so how come more "hookers" don't take up poker?

Vince