Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 06:20 PM

Default Hurt Bird

A question of morals.

I found a bird in the middle of the road. It was flapping around so I picked it up. One wing and two legs are moving. The other wing is motionless. I put it in a safe spot behind some bushes, and it has simply layed there for about an hour. It is not a species of bird that carries the West Nile virus, and considering where I found it and it's symptoms, it seems pretty obvious it's injured and not sick.
The bird is breathing heavily and looks as if it's in intense pain as it is not afraid of humans at all.

A friend told me that the answer to the problem is to break it's neck. I agree, however, neither he nor I are want to do this. At the same time I don't want it to suffer. What should I do?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Hurt Bird

just snap its neck and leave it. something will eat it.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:26 PM

ummm.... just leave it, something will eat it. Nature isn't fair man.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:31 PM

put it out of its misery if you're gonna be thinking about it all day.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
put it out of its misery if you're gonna be thinking about it all day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know your right. I'm just a sucker for animals and don't want to do it. I have some good drugs in the lab, might give it a painless death. I could do that.

God I'm such a wuss.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:45 PM

i really like animals too and would probably kill the bird also. i'd feel bad about it but really, it's better than suffering.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:46 PM

I found a bird exactly like this once in the middle of the road. Figuring that it probably wouldn't be a good idea to touch it with my bare hands, I used my undershirt to pick it up. I put it in my car, drove home, and put it in a cardboard box. We kept birdfeeders, so I think we had some seed, so we put some in a corner of the box, along with some water, although we weren't sure if it would be able to eat. I don't know if it's neck was broken, or what exactly, but I think so, as it didn't make it through the night.

I don't know if there's any health reasons not to do this, but you could bring it inside so it can die without being eaten by a cat or something. I would put it somewhere quiet so as not to terrify it any further.

The drugs idea obviously might be an answer if you know what you are doing - maybe call a vet for advice in that regard?
Old 09-01-2004, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A question of morals.

I found a bird in the middle of the road. It was flapping around so I picked it up. One wing and two legs are moving. The other wing is motionless. I put it in a safe spot behind some bushes, and it has simply layed there for about an hour. It is not a species of bird that carries the West Nile virus, and considering where I found it and it's symptoms, it seems pretty obvious it's injured and not sick.
The bird is breathing heavily and looks as if it's in intense pain as it is not afraid of humans at all.

A friend told me that the answer to the problem is to break it's neck. I agree, however, neither he nor I are want to do this. At the same time I don't want it to suffer. What should I do?

[/ QUOTE ]
Too bad you didn't live near me in Central Massachusetts and then you could take it Tufts University Veternary School in Grafton. They would look the bird over and tell you that yes they can save it and it will only cost you about $4000 in fees.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:02 PM

1. Grow a set of man-sized balls.

2. Snap it's neck.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:08 PM

If you don't want to kill it, you could bring it home and try to nurse it back to health.