Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2004, 02:29 PM

Default smart move or just really rude??

assume a TURBO sng on stars, about 5-6 players left, blinds are starting to get high and you're the BIG STACK.

the blinds go up every 5 minutes, and legally you've got about 20-30 seconds to make a choice when it becomes your turn. naturally, as you're the big stack, larger blinds are to your advantage.

here's the question:
do you stall? obviously, you'll irritate the other players, but it does seem strategically smart. you could take 20-30 seconds to decide to fold your 52o and fewer hands will be played before the blinds go up. if you did this a handful of times, then the shorter stacks could really feel the pressure of the blinds more.

is this just really rude or is it a good play?

(think of it like this...in football, the team with the lead near the end of the game is going to use every possible second off the clock before starting the next play. same with hoops, the leading team will use every possible second of the shot clock when possible. is this the same type of situation?)

all input is welcome!
thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 02:45 PM

Default Re: smart move or just really rude??

I am sure if you keep doing it, then somebody will complain to pokerstars and they will most likely do something so that you won't do it again. It is poor poker and really not that big of an advantage to you.
Old 09-01-2004, 03:24 PM

i find the size of blinds pretty irrelivant anyway.

you do have the obvious problem that you may get absolutely dire cards and the high blinds and aggro little short stacks cut you down pretty quickly.

just play each hand how it comes, and dont stall. im sure its not ethical. im pretty sure its not cool. and probably wont actually give you a huge benefit.

and i hate teams that time waste. if i wanted to watch someone pass around the football (soccer) id ask my younger brother for a kick about.

ill elave ti for you in these terms. would you want one or even two much larger stacks doing it to you. would you like it.

im not a fan of organised religion, but the one message they all share is the one id like to think i live by. do unto others as you would have done unto you.

Phill
Old 09-01-2004, 03:36 PM

I think that from the tone of your post and your attempt to justify your play by using the Football comparison, you have answered your own question. In my opinion it is not good play and I think you'll agree.
Old 09-01-2004, 04:10 PM

What about the prevent defense in football? (as in prevent the win)

I dont think this could give you that big an advantage in the first place and will probably piss off a lot of people in the room (which I guess could have some benefit).
Old 09-01-2004, 11:21 PM

Sure, why not...if you can deal with the hatred this'll provoke. for me, the psychological & political costs outweigh the added EV.

Also, people might get so pissed at you, they'll call your steals next tournament trying to bust you.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:29 PM

The difference is in football the team with the better score wins when the time runs out. In poker, the time never runs out. You don't win until you have all the chips.

I'm not sure how much an advantage the big stack has when the blinds are bigger. (It's an interesting question, though.) My gut instinct is that it's not much of an advantage.

Very large blinds do tend to make the outcome more random, though. In other words, they tend to decrease the advantage of better players.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:58 AM

I agree this idea doesnt really make sense. As the big stack you're often there because you're better than the other players your playing against. So wouldn't you want to keep the blinds smaller in order to decrease the luck factor? I think overall the original poster doesn't have much faith in himself to close out the tourney with his play so hes looking for ploys to close it out.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:05 PM

I think if your stack is HUGE stalling can be advantageous. So huge, I mean, that the rising blinds won't affect you for a while -- but will make the medium/largeish stacks desperate.
Old 09-02-2004, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think if your stack is HUGE stalling can be advantageous. So huge, I mean, that the rising blinds won't affect you for a while -- but will make the medium/largeish stacks desperate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well hes talking about the turbo SNGs on stars, and that is rarely if ever true in these.