Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default SNG bubble strategy (slight vent)

I was in a cheap SNG on Absolute last night, 4 players left. I'm in the BB with about T2000, UTG is short stack with about T800 or so (blinds are T200). Button is tallest stack, with maybe T7000.

UTG pushes all-in, Button calls, SB folds, I call with J4o (slight gamble, but I'm looking for the opportunity to knock out the short stack and guarantee making the money).

Flop comes out J72 rainbow. I check, Button bets T500. I think for a bit, figure he's either got J with a better kicker, or has flopped a set. I fold, assuming he has it covered. He turns up A6o, all-in has 54s (hearts, I think). Turn is another J, river a blank, and Button wins the pot with the Js on the board and his A for a kicker.

I didn't say anything, but wanted to scream at him, "You bluffed me off the pot with an all-in on the bubble?!??!". I mean, he can freakin' see that if the all-in has any semblance of a hand (and he did push, after all), he's a big dog!

Am I right in thinking that way? My plan was to play ball with the button and check it down (though if I was around for the 2nd J on the board, I might have gotten frisky then), in hopes that one of us could eliminate the bubble and let us get on with settling who gets which prize. As I see it, he gave the all-in a great chance to triple up, and risked the possibility that he could then mount a comeback and knock one of the rest of us out (though as top stack, he probably figured he was safe). I would've been really pissed if the all-in had caught one of his hole cards and taken the pot from Mr. A6o, where my hand would have beaten him. Sigh.... [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

Not that much money involved, of course, so maybe he wasn't worried about strategy. Anyway, I eventually ended up 3rd, going out when I pushed with JJ, and the top stack called me with a Qx, and caught a Q on the board. All's well that ends well, I guess, but I was rather annoyed with the top stack's play at the bubble.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 AM

Default Re: SNG bubble strategy (slight vent)

If I've read this right, you could have called.

If the button is beating you, he's probably beating the all-in too, so you will finish third by virtue of having more chips at start of hand.

I understand your frustration, just giving you that play for future reference.

Lori
Old 08-31-2004, 12:06 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
If I've read this right, you could have called.

If the button is beating you, he's probably beating the all-in too, so you will finish third by virtue of having more chips at start of hand.

I understand your frustration, just giving you that play for future reference.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks; I guess I should have called, and then pushed on the turn. I looked at a bet worth a third of my stack, more or less, and decided that with J4o, I should run away and live to fight another day (I still had my eye on 1st, and wanted to conserve my ammunition). IOW, I wimped out. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I'm curious, though; what do you think of the button's play? Was it reasonable for him to knock me off the pot, or would he have been better off playing ball with me? I suppose he might have been hoping to put me all-in and have a shot at taking both of us out at once.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-31-2004, 12:23 PM

I think you're wrong (for thinking that way).

In general, IMO, it's in the big stack's interest to keep the small stack in on the bubble - because - as your story shows - the second and third stacks will often fold winning hands rather than risk going out out of the money.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:30 PM

If I were the button in this case, I'd be much more concerned with padding my chip lead than thinning the field, so I think continuing to bet the hand is reasonable.

If he bets this flop, he can assume that you're going to fold most hands and only call/raise with a really solid holding. Given that, for his $500, he can eliminate half his opponents in this $2500 pot and hope that his bare ace holds up against the all-in.

If you call, he can check/fold the turn/river and let you eliminate the all-in for him. Seems like a pretty smart play to me.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 PM

His play was something that makes me vent too.

Edit: I think it can be reasonable with some lesser hands as he MAY be in front of the all-in anyway, but not A6.

Lori
Old 08-31-2004, 12:32 PM

I would have bet the flop, or c/r all in (most likely not, because I would assume my opponent wouldn't bet). Top pair in a 4 handed game is huge.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:34 PM

Top Pair No Kicker is almost definitely good here against at least one of the 2 others in the pot. And since the big stack is probably just being a bully, there's a good chance you're ahead of both.

I think a push is warranted on this flop; if the big stack beats both of you, you're still ITM. If you win(and it's likely you're ahead) you have a better stack to attack with. And the bully knows he can't completely push you around.

But I don't see how you can say the bully played this wrong. He forced out the best hand. That's what's fun about having the most chips. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2004, 12:41 PM

He forced out the best hand. That's what's fun about having the most chips.

Why would you want to win a $0 pot?

Lori
Old 08-31-2004, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He forced out the best hand. That's what's fun about having the most chips.

Why would you want to win a $0 pot?

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

To maintain a bubble situation where you can steal with abandon? That seems to be the only reason I can think of.