Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 03:19 PM

Default A SNG hand i just played..

this is 20 + 2 at party poker. level 3, everyone is pretty much calling with anything to see a flop..when people do raise people call with crap..lots of drawing and aggressive play..
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (6 handed)

BB (t1805)
UTG (t355)
MP (t1145)
CO (t1490)
Hero (t1405)
SB (t1800)

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls t50, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, SB calls t225, BB folds, MP folds.

Flop: (t600) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t600) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">SB bets t50</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t1550 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls t905 (All-In).

River: (t3305) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3305

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Kh Jh (two pair, kings and jacks).
SB shows Qc Td (straight, ace high).
Outcome: SB wins t3305. </font>

A lot of you would say i made a mistake not betting on the flop..well i was afraid he has an ace (he did call a large bet) and i knew if he didnt have an ace he would probably have a straight draw...I didnt put him on the hand he had and lost..

should I have been more aggressive on the flop? or layed my hand down once he put me all in..
Old 08-27-2004, 03:35 PM

Default Re: A SNG hand i just played..

I havent looked at the results yet.

Here are a few things to think about.

KJ not a good hand. It looks great suited at first, but after a while you will figure it out.. Its bad. Its ok to limp in sometimes, I would have limped here on the button, and sometimes I just muck this preflop.

I would have bet the flop had it folded around to me. HU you deffenatly should have bet this flop.

On the turn you shouldnt be seeing 2 pair, you should be seeing OH [censored] its a four str8 board. ( I am assuming this is what got you) You should bet here, but not call all in. 2 pair is way too vulnerable.

Thinking about what your opponent has before you think about your own hand can improve your game.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:51 PM

I think you should have either called, or possibly folded preflop, although on the button against weak/bad players I'm willing to take my shot with a call.
KJ is probably behind right now, and against idiots you don't want to be behind no matter how bad their weak ace, it's also a problem after the flop as you don't really know where you stand if you flop a pair.

On the flop you have created your own problems. If you had just called preflop, you could bet small into this and still be betting almost the pot, but now a small bet is an easy call.
I don't mind the check, i also wouldn't mind a bet.

On the turn, after you have been raised, you should muck.
There is just no point calling this bet as idiots just check raise without the hand too rarely (idiots like to bluff right there and then in general, rather than go for the CR.

A one card straight is not hard to have (I haven't read ahead yet), especially when it appears they had nothing on the flop, but they have voluntarily called.

Lori
Old 08-27-2004, 03:52 PM

What is it with QT this week?

Lori
Old 08-27-2004, 04:18 PM

This seems like a spot where you must bet the flop. If you are raised, fold. If you are called, check behind on the turn and figure out the river. I don't like your line here much, checking the flop is a waste, you get no information, and you wont be pot committed with a bet. This flop isnt so bad, don't be scared of an ace--your opponent doesnt need one to call you.
-Jason
Old 08-28-2004, 12:12 AM

yea I definately learned a lot analyzing this hand. sometimes a card that makes you hand makes a better hand..

heres a hand i played just recently in a 10+1 8 handed, I Think i played this much better..
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (8 handed)

BB (t678)
UTG (t995)
UTG+1 (t1504)
MP1 (t940)
MP2 (t760)
Hero (t1740)
Button (t638)
SB (t745)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, Hero calls t30, Button folds, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to t225</font>, UTG+1 folds, Hero calls t195, SB folds.

Flop: (t510) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: (t510) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (t510) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets t453 (All-In)</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t963

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qc Qs (full house, queens full of sixes).
Outcome: BB wins t963. </font>

I called this bet more than ready to check/fold if i ran into a trouble flop..I also played the previous hand very aggressive to stop a straight draw...someone called with a gutshot draw and missed...I just sensed this guy was trying to trap me.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:44 AM

That's still a really loose call by you Pre-flop. You probably would have been much better off to fold it. What would you have done if a King or a Jack came on the flop and he bet? Fold? Call? Raise? KJ is a danger hand, you shouldn't value it as highly as you seem to, IMO.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:56 AM

I wouldnt of called a bet with anything less than 2 pair..i know KJ is dangerous...
Old 08-28-2004, 01:17 AM

If you're looking for two pair or the straight, why not play 5-3?

Just don't play it in the first place unless you're in LP and can get in cheap.
Old 08-28-2004, 01:35 AM

yea you're right its not very good up against other level 1 hands most people will raise with..