Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 03:08 PM

Default Did I play this badly? (Oh, and hello, my first post)

Hi, I'm a regular poster at RGP, but it's been getting rather chaotic over there, so I think I'll come here for advice from now on.

Anyway, here's the hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises $6 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls.

Turn: (8.66 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds.

River: (10.66 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 18.66 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 8s 3c (two pair, eights and threes).
UTG shows Jc Js (three of a kind, jacks).
Hero shows Kc Ah (flush, ace high).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.66 BB. </font>
Old 08-27-2004, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Did I play this badly? (Oh, and hello, my first post)

This looks great. welcome to the forums.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:13 PM

Well played. Just out of curiosity, what part were you curious about?
Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 PM

Looks good to me, at least BB didn't overplay his hand.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:15 PM

I usually don't play that agressively with AK, I raise, of course pre-flop, but if the flop misses me, I usually just check along and fold if there's action. I tried to get rid of the others in the pot by re-raising (which I never do with AK) and go heads-up with the all-in player, didn't exactly work out though. Anyway, I bet out to make them fold, but I got popped right back. I was just curious about my call there, I was thinking that maybe I should have folded to the raise.

Oh, and the hand history converter is great, Bison. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2004, 03:22 PM

I'm glad you've rethought your AK play -- you will reap rewards. Especially with that backdoor nut flush draw on the board.

Jon
Old 08-27-2004, 03:23 PM

I usually just check along and fold if there's action. I tried to get rid of the others in the pot by re-raising (which I never do with AK) and go heads-up with the all-in player, didn't exactly work out though. Anyway, I bet out to make them fold, but I got popped right back. I was just curious about my call there, I was thinking that maybe I should have folded to the raise.

You need to think about the math here. How large is the pot (or sidepot)? What are BB's likely holdings? How many outs do you have? Do you have the odds to draw?

I would never fold the flop here.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:31 PM

Yes, the pot size is the only thing that kept me in the pot. In the past, I've been just relying on my intuition to play, and so far it's been working great. But I want to fine-tune my game. I want to be able to squeeze out every possible dime out of my opponents, and want to avoid -EV plays.

I am currently a winning player, but I know that I can improve my game by a whole lot. I don't count my outs exactly, and I want to be able to do so. I want to take a much more mathematical approach to the limit games I play, hopefully SSH will help me out.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:39 PM

I'm an intuitive player too, and can't insta-figure the pot size I need to continue with x outs, but I do always know how many outs I have and can eyeball it.

And now that I'm at 3/6, it's something that I am trying to study and memorize.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the pot size is the only thing that kept me in the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the possibility that you have the best hand? Have you considered that BB may have had four to a K high flush, or an even stronger draw such as T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]? A pair may be more likely with only 3 active players in, but don't completely discount the possibility that you are still ahead when deciding whether you can fold.