Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2004, 10:18 PM

Default 77 in SB

Too passive, too aggressive, or just right?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. MP3 posts a blind of $3. CO posts a blind of $3.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (8 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero calls.

Turn: (6 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

River: (10 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+2 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between UTG+2 and Hero.</font>
Old 08-22-2004, 10:31 PM

Default Re: 77 in SB

I would tend to checkraise the flop, hoping for a bet from late position. If there is an early bet and several callers, I would tend towards folding right then and there. A bet out isn't terrible but against 6 players, I would definitely be wary of a 6 and shy away from it. Once you're raised, why are you betting again at the turn? This fishy turn bet screams of the please-raise-me-so-I-can-fold line. Do you think your opponent thinks the 5 helped you? If you're committed to calling down just call down. Anyway, he raises again and you call again. The river saved you in this hand and there are few other redeeming things about this hand. I would be very surprised if your opponent didn't have a 6 or at least an overpair here.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:52 PM

My line
-------
CR the flop
Check call the turn with the OESD
CR the river after filling up with the 7.

Things might change if EP bets the flop but as long as its not raised and there are a few more to the turn i'd call (geting 14-1 or so) with the implied odds from the 2 outer 7 and 1.5 outer backdoor straight. Fold the turn unimproved

If its bet and raised from EP it's a clear fold.
Old 08-22-2004, 11:55 PM

I like the way hero played this hand.

Betting out on the flop is a good move. I actually sort of want a raise behind me. What I'm afraid of is someone cold calling the raise. When that doesn't happen, I'm pretty happy.

The 5 on the turn gives me a OESD to go with my overpair. I don't want this turn checked through and I don't want to checkraise it, I think betting out and calling a raise is fine.

The river is a perfect time for a c/r.

/mc
Old 08-23-2004, 01:25 AM

I'm not crazy about the turn bet, but it seems to me like at that point you were half probing to make your opponent define his hand, half value betting as the turn produced some more outs for your hand should you be behind. But you're not sure of either: He could just have two pair with a 4, or he could have trips--and on the turn if you're behind HU you want to just be calling here.
I would definitely 3 bet the flop here, df. If I get 4 bet I check call the turn with that draw.