Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2004, 11:56 PM

Default All in Call Question - bugging me still

I am still learning to play tournaments and this was from a Stars 1$ buy-in tournament.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 (t1570)
MP2 (t920)
MP3 (t1540)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t1440)</font>
Button (t1890)
<font color="C00000">SB (t1450)</font>
BB (t2070)
UTG (t1340)
UTG+1 (t1280)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t20, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls t20, Hero calls t20, Button calls t20, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (t140) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t160</font>, Button calls t160, SB calls t160, BB folds, UTG folds, MP1 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t620) A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t400</font>, Button calls t400, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t1270</font>, Hero calls t860 (All-In), Button folds.

River: (t3550) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3550
<font color="green">Main Pot: t3540 (t3540), between Hero and SB.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: t10 (t10), returned to SB.</font>

On the turn I felt like SB had an Ace or two-pair and called the all in. Was my call right? Or should I avoid them early on on the tournament.

No reads as I just got moved to the table.

Anybody put SB on a hand?

This was also the first hand with which I saw a flop.

Old 08-22-2004, 12:39 AM

Default Re: All in Call Question - bugging me still

You flopped a set in this hand right? I know I am drinking a bit but making sure I read this right.

I am scratching my head trying to think of a time I would fold this. I can't think of one.

I think you played it fine and if you lost to a higher set it happens. I would have assumed the pusher had AQ, if he has a set of eights there is nothing you can do.
Old 08-22-2004, 12:39 AM

cartoonsoldier-

Your play is beautiful other than the turn bet. I would probably bet more on the turn (550-600 minimum, maybe all-in). However, when we consider that the only reasonable flush draws are exactly K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (the SB did get a practically free ride so oddball hands have to be considered), 400 isn't terrible since it kills the odds of any other hand you're beating and it's close to killing the flush draw.

[ QUOTE ]
On the turn I felt like SB had an Ace or two-pair and called the all in. Was my call right? Or should I avoid them early on on the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call this every time at any stage of a $1 tourney. In fact, I don't think I've ever folded a set (even bottom set) at any buyin unless I was *sure* someone had a straight or a flush, neither of which is possible on this board.

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody put SB on a hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume he beat you since you posted this. Of the hands that beat you, 88 is the only one that I would say was a well played hand. I think his turn check-raise was a somewhat risky play (the checking part was risky, the raise was perfect), but I think it made sense in this case.

If he had AA or QQ, he should raise PF, and AA should raise the flop so I'd have a hard time putting intelligent players on those hands (unless they suffer from OTS - overly tricky syndrome).

If he had 66 or 97, he just sucks.

So, my money is on 88, although I'm probably wrong since this is a $1 buyin.

Later,
Che
Old 08-22-2004, 12:44 AM

I was going to comment on the turn bet as well, after reading Che's response I think I will. At first I thought a push was perhaps a better play but I think 400 is a pretty good amount. Assuming someone has a flush draw he is drawing to seven outs and I think you correctly priced him out even considering implied odds especially since if the board pairs with a third club you will likely get the whole stack.

I think your bet is close to the perfect size here.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:16 AM

If he had 79 atleast he had 4 outs [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

He had 66, 2 outs, no odds and the lucky mofo ended my tournament.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:29 AM

These cheap on line tournanmets are pure crap shoots you really can't even call them poker. But if you flop a set in a tournament like this - only in one like this - I'd just go allin. You are sure to be called by back door hands and most inferior hands. Otherwise you played it good and just got beat.

But don't be fooled these are not good learning tools just fun so don't take them seroiusly.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He had 66, 2 outs, no odds and the lucky mofo ended my tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said: if he has 66, he just sucks.

But the bigger issue is that you're very lucky the BBPolice didn't see this post. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Later,
Che
Old 08-23-2004, 10:03 PM

Bad Beat Police are hopefully on their way.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:08 PM

Default no, no, no

[ QUOTE ]
But don't be fooled these are not good learning tools just fun so don't take them seroiusly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to take issue with this statement. The $1-3 Stars tourneys are an excellent way to cut your teeth on tourneys if you have a limited bankroll. If you can't beat these tourneys, you won't win at higher levels so it doesn't hurt to test yourself at a low buyin even if you're already a successful small blind NL ring player ($25 games, perhaps).

Things you can learn:

1. How to deal with blind/stack ratios that keep getting bigger and bigger as time goes on.
2. How to identify which players at your table are weaker/stronger, agg/passive, players/gamblers, or intelligent/clueless.
3. How to watch for the way players react to the approach of the bubble.
4. How to adjust your play in response to the three items above.

The list could go on and on as everything that happens in a bigger buyin online tourney happens in a micro buyin. The players are not as good, obviously, but the players aren't all great at the higher buyins so what's the big deal?

Another benefit to these events is that you can build your bankroll with effectively zero risk. When I started, I committed $10 a week to my poker education so I deposited $100 at Stars and played the $1-3 tourneys exclusively for over two months before adding $5 SNG's. I'm no worldbeater, but I'm doing OK and I would recommend my approach to anyone in a similar situation.

Later,
Che
Old 08-23-2004, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These cheap on line tournanmets are pure crap shoots you really can't even call them poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you figure? Do the blinds go up every hand or something?