Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 09:20 PM

Default Is PokerTracker any good for SNG players?

I ask because it seems like the product was designed with limit cash players in mind.

Many of the best features are not very useful if you're a tournament player, and many very useful ones - like the formulas in Aleo's spreadsheets - are missing.

Am I missing something that would allow me to get more use out of PT?
Old 08-20-2004, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Is PokerTracker any good for SNG players?

I have used Poker Tracker for SNGs since May. I first bought it so that I could compare my stats to other posters who had posted theirs. Specifically, I have used it to compare my Vol Put $ in Pot, Saw Flop not in a blind, Att. to Steal Blinds, and Aggression Factor. I feel that this alone was worth the price of the software. For instance, I thought my play was quite aggressive when I started and when I put my stats in my AF was about 1.1. I altered my play be raising more and calling less and got it up to about 2.1 (This is still less than what I want it to be, but I keep working on it). It certainly didn't help to tell me when to be aggressive, just that I wasn't as aggressive as I thought I was. It did, however, cure me of the 'I think I play it just like they do' thinking.

Now that I have about 3300 players in the database it is starting to pay off when I have stats on a player in a current tourney. It is especially good since I don't pick up much in the early rounds when I multi-table.

What I am really looking forward to is the advance notes export that should be coming out soon. I am hoping that it will give me a big boost in knowledge at that time.

All in all, it is more suited to limit play for sure, but it is so cheap compared to the price of just a few tournaments that I think it is a no-brainer.

Dave S
Old 08-20-2004, 10:45 PM

try posting in books/software section if you havent, you should get some more responses there
Old 08-21-2004, 05:06 AM

I have found over only about 200 sngs that it has paid for itself merely in being able to review lots of tournament games in a faster fashion than the replayer. It only gives me book on a couple of players that I have 5 or more games against, but the info is like gold dust when I have it.
Old 08-21-2004, 06:03 AM

Have you tried out the free demo yet? Personally, I think it's invaluable. Forgive me if you are already aware of this, but it tracks all of your tournament histories, amount won as well as providing a thorough database of your opponents and your own hand histories. You can play back specific hands and break down your own play under a myriad of conditions. I've fixed leaks in my game by analyzing success of certain starting hands against certain variables by studying the results of my hand history in PokerTracker. The ring game portion of the software, I never use because I almost never play ring games, but the tournament features are great IMO.
Old 08-21-2004, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I missing something that would allow me to get more use out of PT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly he ALREADY owns it. Which is also why this post is better in the S&G forum than the software section.
Old 08-21-2004, 12:47 PM

Default No I don\'t think you are missing anything. (nm)

No I don't think you are missing anything.
Old 08-22-2004, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
being able to review lots of tournament games in a faster fashion than the replayer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you can replay your entire tourneys in Poker Tracker? I've only been able to find replays on 1 hand at a time. But I'm a bit of a PT novice once you get past the summary info.
Old 08-22-2004, 03:36 AM

No, you have it right. But when I can do is open a tournament, go to the games page, and scroll up through the entire tourney simply looking at my cards. Out of 50 (let's say) tournament games, I probably only play 10 or 15 hands if I win, so I can go through looking for weak-tight folds, loose calls, and then play the 1 or 2 hands requiring further info on the hand replayer. It's just much faster for me than using the IE replayer.

But I do think the odds calculator in the replayer isn't very useful b/c it takes so long, so i use twodimes for that.
Old 08-22-2004, 05:05 AM

I was thinking about writing pokertracker like software specifically for SNGs, which would give more stats, let you replay a whole tourney etc. It would take quite a while to develop, however, and it would have a much more limited audience than PT.