Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Big pot: applying a concept, how\'d I do?

$12/$24 B&M game.
Several soft spots and the game is fairly loose but there are 1 or 2 decent players.

6 limpers to me in the SB and I raise with A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].

BB calls, all the limpers call.

8 players (8BB)

Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, checked all the way around to the button who bets (button is a loose action player, he could bet a variety of hands here), I raise, cold called once in EP, and everyone else folds except the button who calls.

3 players (11BB)

Turn: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

I check, EP bets, button calls, I call.

3 players (14BB)

River: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

I check and it is checked around.

Comments on all streets appreciated, thanks.

After the hand the big blind who was drinking/drunk and stuck about a rack told me this was a "horrible hand". I don't know if he mucked what would have been a winner, but he was implying that I played it horribly. Just want to see what you guys think; I feel like I made maybe one mistake, but overall I thought I played it well.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Re: Big pot: applying a concept, how\'d I do?

You played the hand expertly until the river, where you made a very sizeable mistake. I would estimate that you lost at least 1 BB in EV by not betting the river. I know that seems high - but you almost have to figure yourself for the best hand, and against these garbagey opponents you have to expect at least 1 call. Otherwise - I think you played it extremely well. The check-raise was perfect.
-James
Old 08-20-2004, 03:03 PM

Default Results

MHIG.

Button showed Q8o, and EP also flashed an 8.

James, you are right, I probably missed 2 bets on the river as I know these guys can not throw away a pair on the end in a big pot.

I was a little worried about the board pairing deuces and EP leading out on the turn as if he had one.

That is where my thought process was inconsistent, if I really believe he has a deuce, I should not call the turn. But I called the turn thinking an A or J would be good, and then when I get one, I don't bet it. I went into check call mode on the river in case he had a deuce.
Old 08-20-2004, 09:51 PM

Default Re: Results

I was a little worried about the board pairing deuces and EP leading out on the turn as if he had one.

That is where my thought process was inconsistent, if I really believe he has a deuce, I should not call the turn. But I called the turn thinking an A or J would be good, and then when I get one, I don't bet it. I went into check call mode on the river in case he had a deuce.

The real problem with your thought process here is even thinking the EP player has a deuce. Its extremely unlikely for an EP player to have a deuce.

-ActionBob
Old 08-20-2004, 10:03 PM

"Its extremely unlikely for an EP player to have a deuce."

no youre wrong. bad players play deuces from all positions. bad players (or soft spots as hero called them) are not position sensitive.

nevertheless it is scared awful poker not bet the river when your overcards get there.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:07 PM

I like the flop raise, but I would have bet the turn. Raising then checking seems really weak to me. I would fold to a turn raise. Assuming I only get called, I bet the river when I hit my Ace.
Old 08-20-2004, 10:20 PM

bad players play deuces from all positions. bad players (or soft spots as hero called them) are not position sensitive.

Agreed, maybe I should have just stated hands with deuces are less likely to be played than other hands in any position even by the worst of players. Even the fishiest of fish generally dont play hands like 72, 92, etc yet would always play 78, 89, etc.

-ActionBob
Old 08-21-2004, 12:03 PM

The flop check raise is good. Bet the turn. Definitely bet the river. I had an online hand like this the other day, except I bet the turn, got 1 caller, who folded on the river (and I did not improve on the river).
Old 08-21-2004, 12:59 PM

Your subject talks about a concept, which concept is that?

Also I dont like the way this hand was played out, but the pearpressure makes me keep my mouth shut for now on this hand...
Old 08-21-2004, 01:25 PM

Stevey's called it on this one. A turn bet is essential here with the strength you showed with the flop check raise. When you show strength, it's important to maintain momentum for the rest of the hand and potentially buy it down (unless it's clear that you're beat). Following your check on 4th St, a second checkraise is best (it's always awesome when you can pull off consecutive check-raises, not the best tactically but great to mess w/people's heads...must be followed up by a bet on the river) followed by folding (since you were behind at that point). Least preferred was your call.