Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 10:29 PM

Default How bad was this play?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB (t345)
BB (t600)
<font color="C00000">Hero (t800)</font>
UTG+1 (t1005)
UTG+2 (t1100)
MP1 (t770)
MP2 (t1285)
MP3 (t775)
<font color="C00000">CO (t565)</font>
Button (t755)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="666666">5 folds</font>, CO calls t50, Button calls t50, SB calls t40, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>,

So on the flop I'm thinking I might not have the best hand, but I think all of my outs are good. If someone had AJ I would expect them to raise that value bet.

Flop: (t215) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets t125</font>, CO calls t125, Button folds, SB calls t125.

I take this all-in bet to be an attempt to take it down after I showed weakness. I had him covered, and it was early so I thought it would be worth the gamble since I really thought any club, ace, queen, or ten could win the hand for me.

Turn: (t590) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets t390 (All-In)</font>, SB folds, Hero calls t390.

Yay for me. The question is, if I had missed this would I be sure that this was an obvious fold on the turn?

River: (t1370) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1370
<font color="green">Main Pot: t1370 (t1370), between Hero and CO.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (t1370).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Ac Qc (flush, ace high).
CO shows 7c 7h (one pair, sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins t1370. </font>
Old 08-19-2004, 11:34 PM

Default Re: How bad was this play?

"I had him covered, and it was early so I thought it would be worth the gamble since I really thought any club, ace, queen, or ten could win the hand for me."

Early in a tournament you DON'T want to be making close plays.

But in this case you've got 18 outs (8 clubs, 3 A's, 3 Q's, 4 T's) which is 1.56:1 odds and the pot is giving you 2.5:1 (980:390), so I think the call is ok.

It also might've been better to bet the pot on the flop.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:09 AM

I like this play from start to finish.

You bought a nice cheap card on the flop (could have been slightly cheaper maybe?) and made a neccessary call on the turn.

I tend to check these flops, but the way things transpired, your bet was fine.

Your other option is to get the maximum value on the flop for what is probably a hand that is favourite, by going all-in, but that's not to my personal taste in so small a pot so early.

Lori
Old 08-20-2004, 12:19 AM

flopped nutflush draw with 2ndnut str8draw, and overcards.

Goldmine!

These hands can hurt when you miss, but all in all I think you have to take the chances. Preflop bet is perfect IMO, flop bet some might argue all kinds of thinkgs, but I typically mix it up here.Often on this kind of flop I checkraise all in or do a half bet just like you did.