Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Too aggressive with 99?

The game had been fairly aggressive, but no notes on any individual opponents.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds, Hero calls, UTG+2 calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Turn: (11 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

River: (14 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Button calls.

Final Pot: 17 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17 BB, between Button, Hero and UTG+2.</font>
Old 08-19-2004, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Too aggressive with 99?

With two callers I would likely skip the river bet? Any player with a ten should call, no?
Old 08-19-2004, 10:20 PM

Any player with a T will and should, but so will players with any lower pair, and other garbage. I was scared of the T, but felt my bet had at least a little value. The real decision in this hand IMO is on the flop.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:22 PM

Tough call. With only one overcard in play I might be inclined to keep firing at this pot. I'd be concerned about the flop re-raise though. It smells an aweful lot like a draw, but there's no way to know if he had hit a T, and with the pre-flop action, I'd be thinking about an overpair.

I seem to be having problems with mid pocket pairs also, so it'll be interesting to see what the more knowlegable folks here think...
Old 08-19-2004, 11:40 PM

With two opponents and a missed draw on the river, you should bet. It seems there are three hands your opponents could have. A pair 10 or higher, a pair lower than a 9 or a missed heart draw. By checking you will probably not induce a bluff or even a bet from the low pair because most players are not inclined to bluff a river against 2 opponents. So this bet is clearly a value but. Of course, a lot of times you will be called by the 10+ but you will be forced to call his bet when you check anyway. So bet and collect from the under pair.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:49 PM

I like a c/r on the flop.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:18 AM

I was torn between a check raise and betting out. No matter whether I check raised or bet out and was raised by the pf raiser, someone would be caught in the middle. I was pretty confident that the pf raiser would raise my bet with just overcards, allowing him to shut out the sb and allow me to push out the other with a 3-bet.

But check raising would probably be the safest if the game was less aggressive.