Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Was I right in waiting until the turn to raise?

Ok, my plan was to just call the flop bet and raise him on a safe turn to knock out the other dudes. Was this ok, or, since the pot was not HUGE, should I have raised there in the hopes of knocking out weaker draws?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG bets $5.25 (All-In)</font>, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds.

River: (10.91 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 10.91 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.91 BB, between Hero and UTG.</font>
<font color="green">Pot 2: 1 BB, returned to Hero.</font>
Old 08-18-2004, 07:27 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default Re: Was I right in waiting until the turn to raise?

the pot wasn't huge at all on the flop. what are you talking about? a raise would've given them less than 6-1
Old 08-18-2004, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was this ok, or, since the pot was not HUGE, should I have raised there in the hopes of knocking out weaker draws?

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're talking. Raise the flop.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:55 PM

Raising the flop gives them 5.5-to-1, and that is good enough to make overcards drop (especially with flush and straight draws out). I don't count many cards at all that you want to see, so play it fast. The pot is far from huge, which is what you need in order to play your hand like this and protect it.

Haupt_234
Old 08-18-2004, 08:11 PM

You're waiting for the turn to raise if a "safe" card falls? There aren't too many cards for that board that would look very safe to me. Take the gift opportunity to raise and knock out the other two players right there.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:48 PM

Was this ok, or, since the pot was not HUGE, should I have raised there in the hopes of knocking out weaker draws?

Weaker draws will not fold for one raise. Raise away.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:50 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

did he edit his original post or did I completely misread it?