Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2004, 06:51 PM

Default Flop 2-pair in small blind

1. Should I call with this from the SB to begin with?
2. Should I fold when he raises me on the flop?

Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t30 (10 handed)

BB (t490)
UTG (t1125)
UTG+1 (t665)
UTG+2 (t1160)
MP1 (t615)
MP2 (t870)
MP3 (t825)
CO (t450)
Button (t1030)
Hero (t770)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls t30, UTG+2 folds, MP1 calls t30, MP2 calls t30, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button folds, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t150) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets t200</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises to t400</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t740 (All-In)</font>, MP1 calls t185 (All-In).

Turn: (t1475) 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t1475) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t1475
Old 08-18-2004, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Flop 2-pair in small blind

There is no way you can fold with 2 pair after betting over a quarter of your stack.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:07 AM

1. I would probably complete with this hand if I was almost certain the BB wouldn't raise. If I sensed a raise or if the player often does so, I'd fold.

2. Looking at the pre &amp; post flop play, I'd say he has to have some kind of made hand, not just the naked draw here. If he suspects you to be trying to pickup the pot w/out having to draw out, he could have Kx or even 7x. In the usually loose game I play in, I'd expect to see 77, A7d, or Kx. K7 is a hand played in the home game I get in on (again, loose players) but that seems kinda doubtful here.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:11 AM

I go broke here as well. I don't mind completing to see a flop here at all, but from the looks of things you ran into something like KQ or KJ and the board pairing killed ya. Tough break man.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:31 AM

I'm reluctant to say that he had a set of kings, because there's no way in the world I can put him on that hand.

I posted this one and the other because there are a species of hands that come about in 2 ways:

1. I'm out of position; and
2. I flop a very strong, non-nuts hand or my big pair flops a scary board

Where I'm sure that in a game with longer stacks I'd play more cautiously, my general feeling after 200 sngs is that in this structure, the stacks simply aren't long enough to do much besides raising or folding. If I call a big bet with any idea of laying the hand down later, I'm better off folding. At 10+1, they'll push on me on the turn/river with a four-flush, with a set, with TPTK, middle pair, with a 4-straight, and with nothing. Short of "knowing your player", there doesn't seem to be much for it but to open up on the flop, hold my nose and call these. Calling his raise here and reassessing on the turn (where I still won't be able to put him on a set) seems pointless, as does making a less than all-in bet on the 2 pair hand I posted last night.

What I'm trying to figure out s whether this is a leak in my game. Raise or fold seems to be the order of the day with these hands, but when they're too strong to fold and too weak to raise, I'm tending to default in favor of raising.

Anyone have any thoughts on this issue?