Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2004, 07:26 PM

Default Set feedback

Should I have three-bet the turn?

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, <font color="CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero caps</font>, BB calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: (13 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, <font color="CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, MP2 folds, Hero calls, BB folds.

River: (18 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 20 BB
Old 08-15-2004, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Set feedback

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have three-bet the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would've

-Sent
Old 08-15-2004, 08:09 PM

as would I, 89 or JJ are really the only hands that beat you, 3-bet with confidence. If he caps call the river only, if he calls and then checks value bet.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:16 PM

You have BB caught in the middle, this pushes it into the easiest 3-bet ever category.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:45 PM

Yep, 3-bet that turn.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
as would I, 89 or JJ are really the only hands that beat you, 3-bet with confidence. If he caps call the river only, if he calls and then checks value bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious, since many of the responses don't seem worried about a slowplayed 89 or JJ, what would you all put MP1 on that he would suddenly wake up on the turn (which is essentially a blank) after calling a capped flop?

I'd have thought JJ/89 would play the hand exactly as it unfolded -- passive on the flop since BB/Hero are doing all the capping for him, and bet out on the turn after Hero bets and BB slows down. Meanwhile, I can't see an unimproved two-pair or OESD suddenly deciding to get aggressive on the turn after being so passive on the flop.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:11 PM

I was alot more worried about a slowplayed JJ than a slowplayed 89. Against the later atleast I have mucho outs. Against JJ I have 1 out.

Maybe there is a chicken in me, but I'm always a bit careful when someone comes alive on a blank on the turn. Especially if that someone called 4 bets on the flop.

If it had been 0.5/1 it would have been even money that it was 72o spiking two pairs and deciding he had the best hand. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2004, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe there is a chicken in me, but I'm always a bit careful when someone comes alive on a blank on the turn. Especially if that someone called 4 bets on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was my first thought too when I read your post, which was why I'd be interested in hearing someone give an argument for continuing to fire on the turn.

I also found it curious that BB, after capping the flop and calling a bet on the turn, declined to close the betting on a 17BB pot for one more bet and folded instead.
Old 08-15-2004, 11:26 PM

JT or QK are posibilites, I see 2 pair or top pair here, are much more likely.
Old 08-16-2004, 09:53 AM

I'll try to take this advice to heart next time and three bet the turn.

In this case the villain actually had JJ, but I think you are right that this isn't the case so often that three betting is anything but profitable.