Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 10:20 AM

Default Reading Hands

I have been seriously playing/studying poker for five years and I have read many articles and chapters about "reading hands." I can't seem to do it. I have an idea of the relative strength of my opponent's hand to mine and I am able to lay down a big hand times, but should I be able to accurately determine the exact cards that he or she has?
Old 08-14-2004, 10:36 AM

Default Re: Reading Hands

NOt really the "exact" cards but a "range" of cards. Of course in some cases the exact cards are or should be obvious.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:50 AM

You know, a good way to improve hand reading is to read the responses to hand histories that are posted for discussion on this forum. It's helpful because oftentimes the poster won't include the results, so who had what cards is kept hidden until a later date. If you read the responses to the hand, you can see the thought process of people as they try to deduce what the various players had. It's this thought process that will help you get better.

You'll see that instead of saying that MP1 definitely had AJo, they'll say that since he raised after one limper, bet out against two opponents on a J-high rainbow flop, then checkraised when an A hit on the turn, AJo is certainly a likely holding, but don't discount the possibility of AK and sundry other holdings.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Re: Know your opponent

Pay close attention to your opponents, while your playing heads up with him or after you fold and have time to kill. Make notes in your mind of how he plays; "he raised with that hand/he bets a certain amount when drawing to a strait or flush/his lucky hand is K7 and raises with it, etc. Pay extremely close attention to your opponents, once you know how they play you'll know what they play and how. My 2+2 cents. [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2004, 07:25 PM

It is not possible to determine the exact cards., although you may be able to determine them within a range. Most good players will "erratically" and its very hard to know if they are bluffing, semi-bluffing etc.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:02 PM

the most important thing is being able to put your opponent on a range of hands. It is rare that you can name the exact two cards he is holding. It is more important to know that he/she is on a flush draw, straight draw, is playing like he has two pair or trips, is likely to be bluffing, etc.

I wouldn't worry too much as long as your read on them in terms of relative strength or weakness is good. That is most of the battle right there.

Annie
Old 08-15-2004, 02:05 AM

How reliable are tells?
Old 08-15-2004, 11:54 AM

I know you asked someone else but I put a lot in them depending on the player. I don't make a lot of it but with all the new players specially the internet jockies showing up playing way over their heads "live" I find the tells very telling.

Example: A live tournament a couple of days ago. Playing with a guy for an hour or so. I raised in LP with JJ had made a reraise I went all in he folded really quick. It wasn't the reraise it was the way he made it that told me it was probably a bluff.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:09 PM

There's 1 tell I find reliable. When the guy's hand is shaking as he bets.

I was out of the hand but saw it again last night. A guy on my left raised and capped PF the guy on my right. Flop came J high. Raise - Raise. The board paired on the turn and I saw the hand of the guy on my right shaking as he put in his raise. J's full. He had it.
Old 08-15-2004, 01:00 PM

That can be a good tell but if it is some old guy like me you might just be seeing some sort of ailment like a sugar reaction so be careful.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]