Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2004, 01:18 AM

Default optimal tournament strategy

I play in a home game that's a $5 buy-in and there are usually 7-8 players. 1st gets $25, 2nd gets $7, 3rd gets $3. Is this a bit too top heavy for 1st place? I feel like when I'm heads up against my opponent it's okay for me to make calls where I'm 40% to win the hand but if I make it I'm virtually guaranteed to win.

For example, if I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I somehow know I'm up against something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I'm 40% to win. I know if I move all-in my opponent will call, but because 1st place gets so much it seems like I'd be making more money. Does this make any sense at all or would I be better off taking fewer coinflips to have a higher chance of winning by not taking these shots?
Old 08-14-2004, 01:45 AM

Default Re: optimal tournament strategy

That is too topheavy imo. You can't really argue a prize structure, they are what they are. But I don't see the point in paying out less than the buy-in. In my view if you somehow know your opponent has a better hand, and he'll call, you should fold unless your stack is so small in relation to the blinds your getting the right pot odds.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:50 PM

Default Re: optimal tournament strategy

[ QUOTE ]
I play in a home game that's a $5 buy-in and there are usually 7-8 players. 1st gets $25, 2nd gets $7, 3rd gets $3. Is this a bit too top heavy for 1st place? I feel like when I'm heads up against my opponent it's okay for me to make calls where I'm 40% to win the hand but if I make it I'm virtually guaranteed to win.

For example, if I have K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and I somehow know I'm up against something like A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], I'm 40% to win. I know if I move all-in my opponent will call, but because 1st place gets so much it seems like I'd be making more money. Does this make any sense at all or would I be better off taking fewer coinflips to have a higher chance of winning by not taking these shots?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should almost never make -chipEV plays of any kind. The only exception is when the ONLY alternative is a bigger -chipEV play. That's rare.

Calling when there's play left on an expected 40/60 is idiotic. And 40/60 is nowhere near a "coin flip".

eastbay