Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2004, 06:40 PM

Default [censored] did i waste my money

i ordered TOP, SSH, and HPFAP. i play no limit holdem. it has come to my attention that it focuses on limit poker more. wtf. it says holdem poker. how the hell should i no it doesn't mean no limit. did i seriously waste my money or will the stuff i learn add up so i can make still make money. the bigger problem is that no one plays limit poker. wtf. wtf. wtf. someone make me feel better about this situation please!
Old 08-13-2004, 07:25 PM

Default Re: [censored] did i waste my money

Theory of Poker is a broad book designed for all types of poker, not just limit or no-limit and not just hold 'em.

The other two books are for limit poker and their practical value for no-limit games is rather low.

[ QUOTE ]
the bigger problem is that no one plays limit poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Either you live outside the U.S. or you have never been inside a cardroom. Limit poker is far more popular.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:33 PM

sorry i am 15. no one at the home games plays limit.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:39 PM

in the closest cardroom to my house there are probably 40 tables of limit holdem and 0 tables of no limit, yeah, id say no one plays limit poker...

rj
Old 08-13-2004, 07:40 PM

Although you seem to be more inclined to enjoy NLH, I believe that it is important to have a good background in limit hold'em as well. Read all the poker books you can get your hands on and you'll be way ahead of the competition. Good players who are well grounded in poker theory can adapt to any form of poker.
A couple of books I suggest for NLH include: Super System, T.J. Cloutier Championship Hold'em, and Tom McEvoy's NLH for beginers.
Just a few thoughts.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:51 PM

great so now i don't know what to do. i guess i will keep the books but i am 15 years old. where am i going to find a card room that allows gambling. i repeat none of my home games play limit holdem. that would be too boring. jeez so everything from those books is about a game i don't play and won't play for awhile. not cool.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:25 PM

Wow.

So you are 15yrs old, and are stocking up on poker books of which you have no idea of their contents, playing in "home" games in which only NL is played. If I had to guess, you probably have now spent more on poker books than you have won at the table.

In my opinion, you need to forget playing for money for another 4-5 years and play for matchsticks or baseball cards.

The mere fact that you claim that noone plays limit goes to show you have not a clue as to what is going on in the poker world.

You are a prime example of a bunch of boys watching to much ESPN and Travel Channel. Go outside and play.
Old 08-13-2004, 08:31 PM

don't u read what i type. i said no one at my home games play limit holdem. ok. and i am sorry i misinterpreted what HPFAP meant when it meant limit. i thought it was general. sorry i apologize. and i have bought one poker book (super system) at it has paid for itself a number of times. please don't bash me for no reason. you had one thing right tho lol i do watch espn and the travel channel more than i should. but i learn from that too and i get out tons. just don't go bashing people u don't know.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:09 PM

not only was he completely correct in everything he said, he also used nearly exact quotes many times. You dont learn everything about hold em in 2 days, calm down, ive been playing for 2 years and i still consider myself a beginner. and yeah, you should wait till youre older anyways.

rj
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 PM

Didn;t you already post this here?

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...fpart=1#921716