Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Playing the shortstack when the blinds are getting high.

This is a newbie question:

I was playing in a SnG yesterday and I had really dead cards. I managed to hang around until four players were left. I kept myself alive by stealing the blinds evey orbit or so by pushing when I saw an opportunity. I made enough to get by, but I wasn't really progressing. I kept my stack between t1500-t1900 while the blinds climbed as high as 200/100, then I started to get some good cards. I get AA UTG, I thought about it and played it exactly as I had the other hands -- push. No callers, I get the blinds. A few hands later, KK, same result. I didn't want to suddenlly call, because I think that would give out information that I'm going to push with my crappy hands and flat call or make a standard raise with my big hands. My logic was that sooner or later someone might get sick of me stealing and call when I had something really big. Eventually, I did get someone with A9 to call when I happened to have AQ and I did double-up, but I was wondering if I missed extra money by pushing and driving players out with my giant hands like KK and AA shortstacked as I was or would I be giving away too much information and hurting my future chances at stealing. I would really apperciate the insight.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:59 AM

Default Re: Playing the shortstack when the blinds are getting high.

Whats the buyin?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:02 AM

I play $20 or $10 at Stars. I believe this one was a $10, but I'm not positive.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:03 AM

yeah definetly. When in this situation, you want to raise just enought to get one or two callers (preferably one). And then, depending on the board, milk them as much as possible.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:11 AM

Okay, but my question is, with less than 10BB, if I raise I am pot committed. I've been pushing my stack in fairly often to stay alive. Now the one time I get something big and want action, I bring it in for t600 ( leaving me t900 ) won't this give information about not only this hand, but also the hands where I don't want callers? To me, that would seem to be a tell that people could pick up on and then the next time I have to steal they won't be as afraid to call me. Is my line of thinking wrong?
Old 08-12-2004, 11:16 AM

Default if you\'re playing $5 SNGs, i like your...

strategy. in a two table SNG the other day, i was the shortstack with 5 players left (5th place is a bubble finish). the blinds were like 100/200 with 25 ante and i have around 1K in chips. i went all-in around 4 times, not only picking up the blinds, but also the limp-ins by the bigger stacks. part of my all-in success was due to observation of the table. if you notice players are willing to limp with anything to see a flop, well i'm gonna go over the top all-in as the shortstack with damn near any Ace and K 10+ suited hand. the biggest stack at the table got pissed off with my all-ins. he raised 450 preflop on one orbit and when i folded, he said, "why did'nt you go all-in this time? i replied, "because i'm good". this pissed him off even further to where he commented that he could'nt wait to get a hand to call my next all-in with". about two hands later, i'm all-in again with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and he folds. he ended up getting busted out in 4th when we made the money. i went out in 3rd all-in with like 10 10 to yet another familiar river card (guy had overcards).
Old 08-12-2004, 11:51 AM

at $10 you dont need to worry about whether your opponents will get a line on you. so just make a smaller raise and dont worry about it.

Pat
Old 08-12-2004, 12:49 PM

This is why you shouldn't push every single hand you want to push short handed. If someone miniraises, call the miniraise. Thus you're allining sometimes, and calling sometimes, etc. So say you just call with like 98s from the SB, and then somehow show it down. Then next time if you just call from UTG with your AA, they'll think "oh he probably has a suited connector" etc.

Shorthanded play is a lot more about outplaying your opponents than it is about the cards. Mix up your play, and you'll get rewarded.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:07 PM

Default durron597, that may be true, but when...

[ QUOTE ]
This is why you shouldn't push every single hand you want to push short handed. If someone miniraises, call the miniraise. Thus you're allining sometimes, and calling sometimes, etc. So say you just call with like 98s from the SB, and then somehow show it down. Then next time if you just call from UTG with your AA, they'll think "oh he probably has a suited connector" etc.

Shorthanded play is a lot more about outplaying your opponents than it is about the cards. Mix up your play, and you'll get rewarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

you're the shortstack and the blinds are high, there's no time to being trying to mix up your play and outplay your opponent. i went out 6th as the shortstack in a two table SNG i played last night with two pair on the flop (9s and 10s) to a guy who called with J 8o. the guy caught a 7 on the river for a str8. did i have time to mix up my play or outplay the bigger stacks who could afford 800 and 1200 raises with the blinds at 200/400? no. in that spot, pushing is the only play i see. mixing up your play is good when you have to chips to mix it up with.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:35 PM

Default Re: durron597, that may be true, but when...

at the $10 level people will prob not try to put you on hands anyways and will just be playing their cards. I think you had too many chips to be pushing all in w/ aa kk. If you had 1500-1900 that is a lot of chips for some else to risk w/ a marginal hand. But since you had been pushing in a lot before it makes since as usually people get fed up and will call with any pockets 2 face cards etc. I would prob play it like you did w/ kings if I had already pushed a lot recently and get a little more tricky w/ the aces.