Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2004, 12:59 AM

Default Does it make sense to move down if you\'re not losing?

After about 3 weeks and 1500 hands at 1/2, I'm still not making any headway. I haven't lost a lot, but I haven't made any either. At this point, I'm not sure how to proceed. My BR is fine, but I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere with this approach.

Does it make sense to drop back to .5/1 and play that for a while to build my confidence? Or should I assume that I really am learning something at 1/2 and just keep banging my head against the wall until something sinks in as long as I'm not losing money? Or is there something else I should be doing?

Can some of you people with 1/2 experience help me out?

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm talking about Party 1/2, not Pacific. Pacific 1/2 is the reason that my BR hasn't been damaged by Party 1/2 [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 01:11 AM

Default Re: Does it make sense to move down if you\'re not losing?

Whenever I move up a limit I always play a little bit of both.

Right now I play mostly 1/2 with more and more 2/4 mixed in. If I don't feel like I'm really on top of things I'll play the lower limit; when I do feel like it, I play the higher one.

I did the same thing when I went from .50/1 to 1/2, although I still play both on occasion, the .50/1 just kind of got gradually phased out.

I say if you're uncomfy at your higher limit for whatever reason, play the lower one. If you feel uneasy it's probably from a number of different things, but I'm guessing as you play more hands it'll go away, and you'll start doing the same thing all over again when you make your next jump. (If you want to make another jump, that is.)

Speaking for myself, it takes awhile to get used to the monetary differences while moving between levels. I know you're supposed to think in terms of "bets" instead of "dollars", but at first it's a little difficult to do that. The more you play the easier it gets, though.
Old 08-12-2004, 02:33 AM

I'm in the same situation as you. Just completed 300bb for 1/2 (around 15k hands). 1/2 seems like a different world, and its tough to swallow going down 15bb on a 1/2 table when going down 15bb at .5/1 didnt phaze me. HH for PP are also screwed up right now so I can't even reliably track my progress [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 08-12-2004, 05:01 AM

I would have to vote for keep banging. They play better and thus you get better. That is if you goal is to play higher limits, if it is not then there is no point ofcourse.

k
Old 08-12-2004, 05:20 AM

You've only got 1500 hands. I know you've heard it before, but that is an incredibly tiny sample size. I wouldn't be surprised if the best player in the world were behind 100 dollars with 1500 hands, or if the worst player in the world were ahead 100 bucks after 1500 hands. And I don't mean that as an exaggeration. Literally anything short of GuyOnTilt growing a decent-sized pecker wouldn't surprise me during the course of 1500 hands.

-Brian
Old 08-12-2004, 07:20 AM

Play where you feel comfortable and make strikes higher when you fel like it. If you feel you can play higher go for it. 1/2 is basically the same players as .5/1 Perhaps 1 more good player at a tables.

You played very few hands to really tell but if you have nore lost your bank in .5/1 you are good enough for 1/2 OR 2/4 even.

Just have fun and play where you want to. IF you keep looking at the bank for profit you'll get all stressed out - it's not a job!!!!!
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
HH for PP are also screwed up right now so I can't even reliably track my progress [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

They are? I thought it was just me. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Seriously, I went looking for some of my trouble hands and noticed that they never made it to PT. However, it seemed like I had some of them, so I couldn't figure out what was going on.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:41 AM

Thanks, all for the tips.

I've noticed that I'm not getting many hands to play (my VP$IP is around 16% instead of my normal 20%-ish), so I'm tending to push too hard when I do get a hand, particularly since I'm not multi-tabling as much as I usually do, so it's more tempting to try and make something out of nothing.

I think I'm trying to rush things too much. I'm going to try either mixing in single a 1/2 with the .5/1 games, or maybe go back to my original plan of just playing the 1/2 games on the weekend when they're softer until I start feeling better about my play.
Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 AM

i agree with taking shots. when i get ready for a higher limit i start playing 1 or 2 sessions there a week and the rest at my comfort limit. i do this until i stop thinking about the new limit feeling like a lot of money.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:14 AM

Default Re: You say Pacific is so great?

I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding Pacific .25/50 vs the limits you play at now. I'm considering switching as the 25 cent limit is very frustrating. I find myself titling due to slow single-table games. Also the players at the 25 cent level seem to either suck out or not give any action. I know you don't know anything about my skill or playing style, but do you think any of the reasons/excuses I just gave are valid enough to warrant switching levels/sites, or should I just concentrate on beating these games consistantly? I was thinking of moving my BR to Party to take advantage of the 50% bonus and the aggressiveness of the players, but that would mean playing at double the limit I'm used to.