Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 09:14 AM

Default If you pay taxes on your winnings, you are immoral....

Those who's main source of income comes from poker, and thus are professionals, should in my opinion pay taxes.

Those who play poker as a hobby, not professionally, should not.

The tax system for gambling is unjust. Losers are only allowed to make deductions up to the amount of their losses, while winners pay on anything positive. Clearly, the government has taken the role of "House", and always wins.

Question: What business is it of the government anyways if two adults decide to play a card game in the privacy of their own home?

By paying taxes on your gambling earnings, essentially you make the statement: The System is fair.

If you disagree with the system, it is your job as an American citizen to disobey it.

Do it for Patrick Henry!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:28 AM

Default Re: If you pay taxes on your winnings, you are immoral....

It is not sufficient to just disobey an unjust law. You must also work to change it. What are your plans in this area?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is not sufficient to just disobey an unjust law. You must also work to change it. What are your plans in this area?

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I have talked to my local congressman (state senate) and told him my opinions on gambling taxes after he made a joke to someone else about their "poker face".
Old 08-10-2004, 11:27 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

should somebody not pay sales tax on a car if they're not a car dealer?

as for "the house always winning", it's that way anyway. if two businesspeople buy and sell the same items back and forth to each other with no profit, eventually the government will get all of their money. it's not unique to poker.
Old 08-10-2004, 01:45 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

We can argue if the level of taxes is proper for our society. Personally I prefer lower taxes, which is why I send bills to Congress to lower taxes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Some contribution to one's society is essential however, for the provision of the common defense and infrastructure. Many (soldiers for example) contribute more than their fair share. Paying taxes is one of the least burdensome contributions most of us can make to our society.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:44 PM

esp. if you're a corporate hack who buys tax breaks and shelters....

it's also easier when your daddy gives you every job, from oil man to baseball team owner to appointing the justices that give you the president's seat.

RB
Old 08-10-2004, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

it's also easier when your daddy gives you every job, from oil man to baseball team owner to appointing the justices that give you the president's seat.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, if you want to blame someone for the Bush presidency, blame the 3,000 voters in Florida for confusing "Buchanan" with "Gore". Or maybe blame Gore himself for failing to win his own home state. But according to the media, the 2nd re-count would have ultimately ended the same way the 1st one did, with Bush ahead by a couple hundred.
Old 08-10-2004, 03:00 PM

Location: A nice little white house with a garden of roses. Will return to my Crawford ranch in 5 years after my Second Term. Vote for me on November 2nd. Wish me luck.

[ QUOTE ]
...to appointing the justices that give you the president's seat.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

For the record, my Dad appointed 2 justices:

One (Thomas) voted for me

One (Souter) voted against me

Since those votes cancel each other, I guess I won without the help of my Dad on that one [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2004, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually, I have talked to my local congressman (state senate) and told him my opinions on gambling taxes after he made a joke to someone else about their "poker face".

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, you talked to your local state senator.

Congressman are...y'know, in Congress.
Old 08-10-2004, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
esp. if you're a corporate hack who buys tax breaks and shelters....

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I'm going to dispute your factual assertions, because I think even you know they aren't true.