Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:04 AM

Default Comments On My Blind Re-Steal Steal

I'm playing on UB and blinds have recently risen to 50/100. 8 players are still left and I have 1000 and change. UTG I'm dealt AQs and raise to 250, it's folded to the BB (2000 chips) who hesitates a while and then calls. I've been reading two plus two and not paying attention to the game so I'm not clear on him.

Flop is K72 with 2 diamonds. My opponent immediately bets the pot, 600 chips. The fact that he quickly clicked on bet pot rather than taking the time to look at my stack size and bet all of it, or even think a bit, make me suspicious he is using a stop n go.

But why would he use that vs. an UTG raiser? Now I'm wondering if he wants me to think he's bluffing because of his quick large bet. If I fold here I'll have 700 chips the next hand but if I double up I'll have 1900.

I decided the only way he has a hand here is if he wants me to think he is bluffing. But then why would he bet pot instead of my whole stack? Or a minumum bet? I decide that A high is good and re-raise the remaining chips, he calls with 54 of diamonds.

What would you guys have done? Do you think my play was good or overly agressive?
Old 08-10-2004, 02:11 AM

Default Re: Comments On My Blind Re-Steal Steal

It sounds like your read was good and you got your chips in with the best of it. What are you complaining about?

Note: I probably fold with no read at all, but then again I probably push preflop (you are right around 10xBB).
Old 08-10-2004, 02:16 AM

Yeah I probably should have pushed. I'm not complaining about anything either, just wondering if people think the flop play was +ev.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:12 AM

First, this is not a blind re-steal steal.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been reading two plus two and not paying attention to the game so I'm not clear on him

[/ QUOTE ]

You are making a move that is 100% based upon a read, but instead of making reads, you are reading 2+2, so you actually *don't* have any read. Why not playing without watching at all? they call it "gamble", it's fun!

[ QUOTE ]
Flop is K72 with 2 diamonds. My opponent immediately bets the pot, 600 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

You didn't catch any piece of it. Nothing. Your opponent is practically puting you all-in. You are practiaclly calling with ace high (your raise doesn't mean anything, since he's not going to fold for 150 more). Doing this without a VERY concrete read, is a serious mistake. And even with a very strong read ,it's questionable.

Very bad move.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:46 PM

It was also the right play.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:06 PM

Bad play on your part. He either has a K or a flush draw. Very doubtful he is bluffing - and if he is, its probably with an underpair which has you beat.

So, even if you get lucky and catch him on his draw he still has potentially 15 outs to beat you.

This is a very easy fold.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It was also the right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. You are confusing between "lucky" and "right".
Old 08-10-2004, 11:19 PM

I was lucky I made the right read.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:28 PM

You didn't make any right read. This was a terrible play by you. If you want to insist it was "right", please go ahead and do so, but I thought you were looking for serious comments and advice, since that's the reason people usually post hands here.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:29 PM

Why is it horrible to go all-in with the better hand? If Hellmuth did it because of a read would it be horrible?