Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2004, 12:22 PM

Default Become a pro

Ok Hi all, my first post here so bare with me.
I have search but not found any answer to my question, a question that may be a little silly.

What do you guys think is the lowest stake to play at and be a pro.

I mean that you don't have to become a millionaire to be a pro and that myselfe would consider myself a pro if I made $1500 a month thereby I wouldn't have to take a student loan that is about $1000 a month.

so what is the lowest stake to make this kind of money a month? are there some stakes thats just to much work to be a pro?

Cheers
/Joel
Ps. I blame my poor spelling on the fact that I'm a Swede.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:33 PM

Default Re: Become a pro

Im sure you could comfortaly make that kind of money playing either 3/6 or 5/10 if you can put the hours in a remain disciplined. But remember you must have a decent bankroll to attempt this. Dont use your student loan!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-09-2004, 12:38 PM

haha no worrys Im not planning to I just wondered. Im a begginer at the micro stakes so it will take years before I get a bankroll for 3/6
Old 08-09-2004, 12:42 PM

Multi tabling 2/4.
Old 08-09-2004, 02:20 PM

If you have the dicipline and put down a litel time to study books about the game then it wont take years. I started at .5/1 with $37 ( and yes I was lucky in the begining ) in april this year and now I multi tabling 2/4 with a good bankroll for that limit. You can make that kind of money when you multi tabling 2/4 and still have time to study and some sparetime left. I too play becaus I do not want to take that sucky swedich student loan.... Suger att behöva betala hela XXXXX livet ( Swedish if anyone wonder )!!!

Good luck!
Old 08-09-2004, 03:18 PM

You could conceivably make $1500 a month multitabling .5/1 if you played full time. I really would not recommend this, though. Consider playing the Party 2/4 game.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:52 PM

Default College students plan

Great point every1.

I just spent 5 hours last night typing up a 4 year plan while I am in college, not knowing the exact bb/h that I will be able to take in I was limited in my expectations.

(very minimal outline) If I start with .5/1 for say a month with 10/1 tournaments I can take my bank roll up to about $500.00 or so. I also am comparing how much I would make in a real job so I would be making about $6 and hour at this rate which is significantly less then a real job would pay. But after I fully gain the basics and move to 20/2 and 1/2..so on and so on. After the next month I will be making twice an 8 or 9 hour job would pay. And that is only in 1/2 and 2/4 games. Taking into consideration 200k, 250k, and Friday specials at Party Poker with minimal expectations I would easily make what I make in a month on one decent hit. Using sub-qualifiers I would need to win a FREE TICKET to the 200k,250k, or Friday once every 30 TRIES!!! to break even which is ridiculous. Given the added experience I will be able to successfully play 50/5 tournaments and 3/6 by 4 to 6 months. With an average of about 4-7bb/h (not sure if this is too high or too low of an expectation) I will have a bankroll of about 6,000 after 4 months taking out 1,500 for multi table tournaments which I am much better in then ring games. Even if my expectations are too high I still will be able to beat higher limit as my experience grows.

Along with college, 5 hours of study a day, 4 hours of cross country running, a few hours of Student Body work, hanging out, classes, sleep, and poker I will try to read one GOOD poker book a week( which should allow me to use more and more hard core strategy in my play).
College will be about $125,000. But if I apply and get an internship over the summers this company will pay for year 2 3 and 4. I will be working for them for a year after I graduate.

So I have about 30,000-50,00 to pay off.
Not including very small scholarships.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:55 PM

Default Re: College students plan

What..... Business slowing down at the ranch?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:10 PM

.50/1.00
Old 08-09-2004, 06:20 PM

lol, you are in the same boat as me.

I'm 25 and planning on going back to school to get a M.S. in Comp. Sci (I have a B.S. in Eng. Sci). I have no background in programming so I'm basically going to take undergrad classes for two years. I have hardly any job skills so if I work it will be for minimum wage. I have no money to pay for school, and I can't apply for a loan because I won't be a degree student.

The only way I can pay for this school is to sell my car and play poker. And I've been on a loosing streak at poker!!!