Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2004, 05:17 PM

Default Party $100 6-max idiot straight draw

Party $100 NL 6-max. I've got about $105, I have villain covered.

Everyone limps and I check in the BB with 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. $12 in the pot.

The flop is 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Checked to UTG villain who bets $7. Folded back to me. Should I just fold?

I was nearly positive this opponent did not have T9 here, but a hand with a ten or a nine is very possible (JT, J9, 89, something like that). I am also pretty sure he doesn't have a heart draw. Finally, I didn't sign on to Party to fold, so I call.

Turn is the best card I could have hoped for, the 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. I check and he bets $7 into the $28 pot. I call.

The river is the 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. The pot is $42. I bet $50.

Comments?
Old 08-08-2004, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Party $100 6-max idiot straight draw

what kind of hand do you think he has to justify such a huge bet?
Old 08-08-2004, 06:31 PM

These situations IMO are very player dependent. I usually try to avoid them. Here, I muck on the flop.

That being said, I am not a very advanced player, and online would not feel that my read is good.

However, given your play and hitting your straight, and the way the betting went, I don't think he has a higher straight so I like the fact that you are betting. Unless villain is a total moron, tho, I don't see him calling any more than a $30 bet.

[ QUOTE ]
Finally, I didn't sign on to Party to fold, so I call.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will get you in trouble if you are sitting at my table [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-08-2004, 07:20 PM

Easy and automatic fold on the flop. If you're not already drawing dead, you only have two clean outs. The fact that you're out of position limits greatly the amount you can make even if you hit one of your two outs on the turn.
Old 08-08-2004, 11:20 PM

I agree, fold this hand on the flop. It could cost you you're entire stack, and you're unlikely to win much when you hit the perfect four.

Once the four hits, I would have check/raised to avoid letting him draw a free straight on the river (as you said, J-10 is a likely hand). Then I would put in a more modest bet on the river, inviting him to call again.
Old 08-09-2004, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what kind of hand do you think he has to justify such a huge bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something that beats a missed flush draw?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:15 AM

I thought the river bet was the best part of the hand.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:45 AM

What about a mid PP. He could easily have that. Villain limped in on the deal (mid PP scenario) and then bet big when he hit his set. I'm guessing he may have a set of 7s or 8s here and doesn't want to see any more cards and have someone build off their straight draw. You called the flop raise and got your straight. He's still betting on his trips. I'd take him all-in with my read.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:34 AM

Drawing hands out of position are almost worthless against an aggressive player. You can't reraise in an attempt to see a free card because you'll have to check the turn to him. He's giving you awful odds to draw to the ignorant end of the straight draw. Either raise as a BLUFF and try to take the pot, or the better choice is to fold.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Drawing hands out of position are almost worthless against an aggressive player. You can't reraise in an attempt to see a free card because you'll have to check the turn to him. He's giving you awful odds to draw to the ignorant end of the straight draw. Either raise as a BLUFF and try to take the pot, or the better choice is to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said he's aggressive? What if he has top pair and just believes he has the best hand? I would routinely make this bet in his position with a decent hand on the flop.

As I said in my original post, I don't believe I am drawing dead to a flopped straight, and I don't think this guy is betting a heart draw. So if he has JT, I don't have eight outs. But I am not going to get stacked with 56 on a 789J board, either.