Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 11:24 PM

Default flopping the straight

I'm wondering how anyone else would play this hand...

I am at a $5=1 sit and go no limit tournament, 6 out of 10 players remain...
I am SB with 67 spades. I call the big blind when 2 others limp around to me. BB checks. Flop comes 5 hearts, 8 spades, 9 diamonds. I have myself a straight with a rainbow flop. With 4 people in this pot with me, i bet the pot. BB folds, UTG calls, Button folds.

Turn is another diamond, I bet the same amount as before, called again. A third diamond hits on the river, and I cut my bet in half. I show my straight, he turns over a flush.

I am wondering if I played this correctly and just was sucked out, or if there was something i am missing.

Thanks
~knight
Old 08-08-2004, 12:30 AM

Default Re: flopping the straight

If he had a pair or overcards, when you didn't increase your bet, he might have thought them good and called..
His play may have been poor, but you *may* have avoided it with a pot sized raise (or all in if a pot sized raised is a significant portion of your stack) on the turn.

Like the previous answer said, if he called on a flush draw only, he may have been calling anyhow.

What was the board, and what did he have?

regards,
woodguy
Old 08-08-2004, 12:43 AM

he held a 10 and 2 of diamonds. The blinds were still at 15/30, I was largest stack of the people in the pot with about 950.
I realized afterwards that he did have several outs (higher straight and the obvious backdoor flush), and it may not have been possible for me to chase him away.

Thanks again,
~knight
Old 08-08-2004, 01:13 AM

You have to increase the size of your bet on the turn. If the pot is 30% of your stack, I just pushin. If it's less than 30%, bet pot again. I check-call upto about 20% of what's left in my stack if the third diamond hits unless the guy is known aggressive and I'm not already allin.
Old 08-08-2004, 10:45 AM

check the river here as you will only be called if beaten. as far as going all in on the turn i wouldnt normally do it. you are a 4-1 fav so you want him to call. i would make a pot sized bet hope to get called and not see a diamond. if you do thats poker. i tend to gamble here more than most however, as the book play is to go all in.

Pat
Old 08-08-2004, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
check the river here as you will only be called if beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh-huh. That's why the 10-2d called a potsized bet on a 985 rainbow board.

After the other thread you posted in, it's clear you're playing *way* weak tight poker. (Re)read some books.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:57 PM

"Uh-huh. That's why the 10-2d called a potsized bet on a 985 rainbow board.

After the other thread you posted in, it's clear you're playing *way* weak tight poker. (Re)read some books. "

Is this in regards to me, or to Pat?

~knight
Old 08-09-2004, 12:54 AM

It was to Pat. IMO, you needed to bet bigger on the turn, but it's not really a big deal. You can't put the other guy on exactly diamonds, so you can try to bet a bit smaller to get him to bluff raise or 'value raise' with his A9 or what have you.