Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 01:27 PM

Default Bad habits from on-line tournaments?

What are some bad habits that develope from playing tourney's (especially single-tables) that can carry over to B&M tourneys?

I see much more limping on-line than live, but that could be a function of a lot of things.

I also see more huge hands - there are entire conspiracy theories about this. But, the number of times I've seen AA vs. KK at a table tourney is crazy. And, I don't think you can get away from KK in any short-handed game pre-flop. I think this could have the effect of making someone a bit timid with their strong, but not dominating, hands.
Old 08-07-2004, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Bad habits from on-line tournaments?

I suspect the worst bad habit to overcome when moving from online to live tourneys is simply the character and style of the typical opponent you will be facing.

Online opponents tend to be looser and often more aggressive than live opponents. While there are plenty of really bad live opponents, they still tend to fold the total garbage hands, while online you never know. Also, there are a lot more huge all-in bets and raises online than I typically see in a live tourney. So, knowing when to give those big raises credit and when not to is more necessary online.

Basically, the fact that you're not facing the opposition online lets people make plays they would never try live, because there is none, or so much less, embarrassment to making the play.

So, when you get into a live tourney, you probably need to give a typical unknown opponent a little more credit than an unknown online opponent.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-07-2004, 02:54 PM

Default If this is the real FM

You made my day responding to this post. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:00 PM

Default Re: If this is the real FM

Yes, it's the real FossilMan.
Old 08-07-2004, 03:32 PM

Glad to hear it. You're welcome.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 08-07-2004, 04:02 PM

HAHA, I like the new avatar, bdk.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:02 PM

I found it odd that you said you see more bigger hands in live games than online. However when I sit and think about it, is it not true that the cards dealt online are much more random than having a dealer shuffle a few times? The difference probably isn't much, but I'm sure there is a difference.

Edited to add the word 'more' into the first sentence.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:20 PM

I think the idea that powerhands occur more often online is bunk. Players may have tendency to think that's the case due to selective memory.

Remember your probably playing 2-2.5 times as many hands per hour online as you would in real life. Thus your odds of seeing the power hands is increased proportionally. That to me seems the most likely explanation for seeing more "power hands" online.

Although it could be a big conspiracy by the Online poker sites(unlikely), but we won't know for sure unless we see the software source code.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:20 PM

Default Yeah, I looked at his profile AFTER I posted...

Maybe I'm lame, but it was a thrill to see a response from him - besides being a World Champion, also a 2+2 forum legend...
Old 08-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Default I noted the conspiracy, but...

There are certain myths in on-line - like runs of bad luck after cashing out. Somone in CP had a brilliant-and-obvious observation about that which was that people reduce their backroll relative to the limit they are playing.

I've always assumed it's the number of hands as well. Still, I fall for the notion at times. I'm much more likely to push a good-not-great hand live.

Now, when you see me on-line you can push me off my hands...