Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2004, 08:40 AM

Default Did Scott Kill Laci?

Do you support Kobe?

Are Brad and Jen pregnant?

Can we all stop referring to these people as if they were our cousins or something?

Yes, Scott Peterson killed his wife, Laci Peterson.

No, I do not support Kobe Bryant.

Who cares if Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston are pregnant?

Yes, O.J. Simpson killed Nicole Brown Simpson.

I mean, in 1804, were all of the townspeople huddled around the local sistern, yammering about how "Aaron shot Alexander?" I should certainly think not.

So let's all try a little harder not to try to sound like swooning 13 yr-olds when we speak of famous or infamous people.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: Did Scott Kill Laci?

I agree.

Also you mentioned it in a subtle way but why the hell are these people referred to by first name only? I don't know them, neither do most viewers.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, in 1804, were all of the townspeople huddled around the local sistern, yammering about how "Aaron shot Alexander?" I should certainly think not

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd be wrong. Gossip about famous and infamous people and shocking crimes has existed throughout recorded history. There are some great books about 19th century scandals, and Roman scandals, etc.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree.

Also you mentioned it in a subtle way but why the hell are these people referred to by first name only? I don't know them, neither do most viewers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry for the subtlety. That was my entire point. Obviously, there will be gossip and sensationalism and all of that, I just meant to say that the overpersonalization via the use of first names doesn't sit well with me at all.

It seems almost like some sort of a trick to get us more involved in the story, to interest us more in this nonsense because if they're friends of ours, we are more interested.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You'd be wrong. Gossip about famous and infamous people and shocking crimes has existed throughout recorded history. There are some great books about 19th century scandals, and Roman scandals, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't mean to imply that there would have been no talk of the event. I meant to say that it most likely would have involved Mr. Hamilton and Mr. Burr, and not Hammy and A.B..
Old 08-07-2004, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]

No, I do not support Kobe Bryant.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? What if he is innocent. If he's innocent, being falsely accused is worse than committing the crime. Ya, he cheated on his wife, and that's scummy, but it doesn't mean he's a rapist.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:43 AM

My guess is he is guilty - but I cant be sure. I think it will be telling if and when we hear what he told investigators. I bet that is why he is being prosecuted.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why not? What if he is innocent. If he's innocent, being falsely accused is worse than committing the crime. Ya, he cheated on his wife, and that's scummy, but it doesn't mean he's a rapist.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, a perfect example of my original point.

1.) Why would I call him "Kobe?"

2.) Why would I "support him?"

Again, my point was not to generate a discussion as to whether or not our entertainers and self-made celebrities are guilty of their crimes or nice people or are ovulating.

My point was that we are having the wool pulled over our collective eyes.

Nancy freakin Grace calls him "Kobe," like he's been in her living room, and we all call him "Kobe," like he's been babysitting our kids.

"Laci" was so sweet. She smiles in all the pictures I see of her. She was so full of life, you know?

And then "Scott" came and took all of that away from "us."

Please. Let's get a grip.

Maybe "Bruce" can write a song about it, so we can all start "healing."
Old 08-07-2004, 04:03 PM

My guess is, yes, Scott killed Laci. But I have the growing feeling that the prosecution, as they did in the OJ case, is going to blow this one too.

So far they've been able to prove that he's a lousy fisherman who doesn't know the proper bait and that he owned a boat which wouldn't capsize if you threw someone over.

If I were on that jury, I'd be insulted that they were wasting my time with such crap not to mention the insult to my intelligence.
Old 08-07-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So let's all try a little harder not to try to sound like swooning 13 yr-olds when we speak of famous or infamous people.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's at least one thing worse than people who are infatuated with celebrity- people who look down on those infatuated with celebrity.