Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 01:48 AM

Default BusinessWeek

Howdy.

I worked for businessweek magazine this summer as an intern, and as a last hurrah they had me write an article about the growth of poker (TV and online) etc. Justin Bonomo (ZeeJustin) and David Ross are mentioned, and I think you all will like it.

The story is on pg.99 of the issue that will be on newstands today (friday), and the cover of the article is on global warming. It should be availabe free on the internet next week... But I reccomend that you all should pick up a copy, even though it is fairly basic and meant for your average joe.

-Jason
Old 08-06-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: BusinessWeek

Hey Jason,

I bought the issue with Ken Chenault (sp?) on the cover. I looked for your article and couldn't find it, but the mag. kicks ass. I'm not THAT interested in business, but found several articles in it that intrigued me. I credit this to your fine internship skills [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Any way, I'll pick the new one up when I get a chance
Old 08-06-2004, 10:41 AM

congratulations on being a published writer! I'll pick up a copy for sure.

--turnipmonster
Old 08-06-2004, 02:22 PM

I'm sure it's not a big deal if you didn't know this and happened to call him David Ross in the article but Ross is David's middle name I do believe. And if you didn't, then hey ignore this. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I didn't know you were an aspiring journalist too. It'd be cool to talk to you sometime about your interning experiences this summer, since next Summer I hope to land a gig like you just had.

I'll be looking for the article!
Old 08-06-2004, 03:17 PM

David Ross is the name he uses in the poker world and is the name he plans to use if/when he publishes a book about his career online. Therefore it was appropriate to use Ross, the same way it is appropriate to use Moneymaker.

-Jason
Old 08-06-2004, 03:18 PM

Haha,

Sorry about all that. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

The cover this time is a morbid looking thing on global warming. The article is waaaay in the back, and short, but it took me so damn long to write. I had to dumb it down over and over and over before it ever got anywhere near publishing.

-Jason
Old 08-06-2004, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
David Ross is the name he uses in the poker world and is the name he plans to use if/when he publishes a book about his career online. Therefore it was appropriate to use Ross, the same way it is appropriate to use Moneymaker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dumb question, I guess, but Moneymaker isn't Chris Moneymaker's real last name? Really?
Old 08-07-2004, 02:07 PM

My subscribers copy came today and your article was the first thing I read. (Actually I probably won't finish this issue for a while...I have a nice stack of magazines built up due to travels.)

You did a great job of explaining the game and it's attractions (and online play) in a relatively short article. I'd quibble with the books you chose to highlight (I'd probably not include the Theory of Poker in a list of introductory books...Hold'em Poker is fine of course) but that's really just a quibble.

And thanks for the highlighted mention of twoplustwo.com!

Best Regards,

Chuck

P.S. What are your journalism goals?
Old 08-07-2004, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Dumb question, I guess, but Moneymaker isn't Chris Moneymaker's real last name? Really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, are you serious? There was such an emphasis made that Moneymaker was his real name.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:04 AM

No, I am pretty sure that in fact his last name is NOT Moneymaker.