Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2004, 03:06 PM

Default Interesting Hand - Top Pair with 3-flush on flop

I have had a number of interesting hands the past few days that have kept me awake wondering if I should have played them differently. I'll try to post a few of them.

PS $30+3 2-table SnG, pretty early, blinds are 15/30, most stacks between 1400 & 1600. The first orbit or two has been pretty loose-passive, with as many as 6 or 7 limpers to see the flop. I am in MP with Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].

UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="red"> MP/hero raises to 90</font> , MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, SB folds, BB calls, and UTG calls.

I suppose I could have just called to see what would happen behind me, but I hate limping and playing against random hands in the blinds.

5 Players, pot = t465,
flop = Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img],2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG-checks...

Okay, I've flopped top pair with a Jack kicker, but there is a 3-flush on board. Do you bet out here to protect your hand / test the waters / represent a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] or what?

I bet out 400 and everybody folded, but I wondered afterwards if this was the right play. Clearly I do not want to see a raise here. If I had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] most people would expect me to check the flop - so was a bet by me an invitation for anybody to come over the top or do you give a bet like this credit for a hand like A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Old 08-05-2004, 04:10 PM

Default Re: Interesting Hand - Top Pair with 3-flush on flop

I wouldn't raise with QJo early with a loose table for starters, particularly with an UTG limper and several left to act. Easy fold for me, you might limp if you want to gamble a bit hoping to hit a striaght.

After than, I think the bet is fine, as you'll scare anyone without diamonds away, and you need to offer poor odds to anyone with a singleton diamond, and you need to scare out small pairs. But it’s a bit risky as AQ or KQ could be out there, and any Ad would have odds to call and people love playing aces, but probably a good risk.

just my two cents

Greg
Old 08-05-2004, 04:18 PM

I agree with gergery, though I probably bet 300. That should fold anyone that 400 will fold, and costs you less when you run into a better hand.
Old 08-05-2004, 06:49 PM

you'll learn soon enough not to play QJ offsuit. postflop, you played it well so long as it would have been easy for you to dump.

cheers!