Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM

Default KK with a scary flop

1st hand of a party 10+1 SNG. I get KK UTG. I limp. A few more limpers before middle position raises to t60. Everyone folds to me. I re-raise to t-225. I get one call from MP raiser. Pot is over t500. Flop is A1010 with 2 clubs. I check and my opponent is instantly all-in for t575. This is the first hand and I have never played with this person before, so I have no read. Do I call here? Should I have been the one to go all-in?
Old 08-04-2004, 08:45 PM

Default Re: KK with a scary flop

I would think you are beaten here and should fold. Given that he raised a small amount before the flop he is probably holding a small or medium pair or AK. Could very well be pocket 10's in which case your dead. More likely AK though which puts you way behind. The first hand of the tourny isn't the place to take a big chance like that IMO. Perhaps raising him all-in before the flop would have been a better play, if he has AK or a small pair he'll fold if he has any brains at all(of course that's a big assumption early in a $10 SNG). I'm probably completely wrong about this, but that's my opinion.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:56 PM

Fold.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:50 PM

Easy fold if it's the 1st hand and you have no read. I would've open-raised preflop though instead of limping-raising.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:55 AM

fold without a thought...i would never limp unless with KK at a full table unless I KNEW someone would raise.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:23 AM

Don't call the allin, that is pretty easy. You should not push allin yourself either. It looks like your only choice on the flop is the check and fold. Often I like to make a bet on the flop to feel him out, but any meaningful flop bet (1/2 plus pot size) looks like it will leave you pretty short.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:30 AM

I think the limp reraise allin is good in theory, but wont work. I would like to get this guy allin preflop with my kings, but I think its tough to get most players to call a limp allin reraise from the UTG...unless he happens to have a hand that beats KK.

Early on I would just go ahead and raise the kings and play them. If someone re-raises, absent a read, I would push. I am a beginner so I could be wrong on this (I cant wait until I can stop saying this!).
Old 08-05-2004, 02:03 AM

I also like like limping with AA/KK and it has proved much more profitable than 3-5BB bets. However, if an ace flops you have to cut your losses, because it's a party 10+1 SNG and one of those guys is going to have Ax (probably ATo [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]).