Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 04:15 PM

Default False tells?

I find a check on the turn, accompanied by a false "glint in the eye," with only moderate subtlety, gets me a free look at the river.

I'm doing a bit of research, anyone else have a fake tell they are particularly proud of and would be willing to share?
Old 08-04-2004, 04:33 PM

Default Re: False tells?

Funny, I do the exact same thing at my home game. Then, my friend proceeds to bet 1/5 of his stack on something like second pair. I need a new fake tell.
Old 08-04-2004, 04:44 PM

if it's down to heads up or 3 handed, and i'm in last position and want a free card, I'll try to telegraph my intention to bet, encouraging checkraise attempts and so on.
Old 08-04-2004, 05:01 PM

Reverse tells and false reverse tells are vital to most mid-stakes games I've sat in, as there's usually at least one other solid player in the game. You should be using a combination of them postflop in pots against solid thinking players often enough where your opponent has to keep them in mind.

GoT
Old 08-04-2004, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if it's down to heads up or 3 handed, and i'm in last position and want a free card, I'll try to telegraph my intention to bet, encouraging checkraise attempts and so on.

[/ QUOTE ]
when somebody ahead of me grabs some chips like they are dying to call/bet, i usually bet.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:30 PM

but what if i'm double faking and decide to raise you
Old 08-04-2004, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
but what if i'm double faking and decide to raise you

[/ QUOTE ]
youre not that good
Old 08-05-2004, 12:37 AM

this might be illegal but like at home games and against my brother if i want someone who is debating on whether to call me or not i sometimes reach for the pot and say "I can see where this is going" and procede to sorta move the pot towards me. it normally works.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:43 AM

I play a lot of ring games in L.A....10-20/15-30....if anybody so much as makes a semblance of a strong move to discourage my bet, I don't hesitate to bet...it only makes me more confident that my hand is good...and if I had nothing and it's the river? I'll still bet if I see this because they will invariably fold. My favorite one I see is the "I've got chips in my hand and I'm about to call you so be careful" move.

Or the ones who immediately call, like the speed of their call is going to slow me down on the next street if I have something.

Of course, the best one is the staredown after a big bet - usually seen in NL game or tourney - it's checked to the river and some idiot moves all in or bets the pot and glares at you, daring you to call. Hell, if all I have is Ace-high I'm calling that guy.

Amateurs.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2004, 02:21 AM

Howdy!

I like to mix up how I protect my hand, and sometimes look like I am definitely folding when it gets to me and reverse it and look like a bet or call is definite and even pause as if debating and then fold my 83o BB hand to the KKJ flop bets...

I noticed a kid today who acted like he hated seeing a bet, and then proceeded to raise.

Turns out he was a calling station as well, lucky for him it was his day and he ran down or rivered a ton of hands.

-Bri