Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2004, 12:49 PM

Default Question about Flutie and the Hall of Fame

Will his years in the CFL give him a shot at the football HOF? From what I understand, its Professional Football HOF, not an NFL HOF, so his stellar CFL years could give him a shot, right? I think the fact that he has played successfully in the NFL at the end of his career shows that his time in the CFL isn't meaningless cause its a B league.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:55 PM

Default Re: Question about Flutie and the Hall of Fame

I wouldn't vote for him. His time in the CFL is meaningless because it is a 'B' league. The HoF is for people who show extraordinary excellence at the highest level. Racking up stats in a pass-happy junior league doesn't count for much more than a shot at a job in the real league. What did he do in the NFL? Was he ever even a top-5 QB? Yeah, he was good, he had a knack for winning a few games that he probably shouldn't have, but he's no hall-of-famer.
Old 08-04-2004, 12:58 PM

I say why not, the only HoF that really means anything is the Baseball one anyways.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 PM

No way...I've never seen anything more than an average NFL quarterback
Old 08-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Actually, I vehemently disagree. Case in point, Paul Molitor. I loved molitor, he was a great player.. Ted williams thought the guy was a great hitter. But, how many casual fans do you think would know Molitor? If he had never had his 42 game hit streak, only people that follow the game pretty closely would know what a good player he was. My point: Like everything else, the Baseball HOF has been watered down. The HOF should be for players that you wouldn't doubt as HOF'ers. Guys like Clemens, Ozzie, Shmidt, Bench, etc.. Real superstars of the game. Not B superstars. I guess that would defeat my argument for flutie, but I gave more of a question, if his years in CFL would count/help.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:09 PM

6 mvp's isnt racking up yards in a b league
Old 08-04-2004, 01:24 PM

How the [censored] is the baseball HoF being watered down when they let 2 people in on average a year, while football and basketball are closer to 6 to 8?
Molitor, doesn't deserve to be in there???? Its people like you that make me happy that the sportswriters and fellow hall members get to decide who goes in. Molitor had an awesome career. 3300 hits, a career .306 hitter Look at his numbers before you state your "educated" opinion.

[ QUOTE ]
The HOF should be for players that you wouldn't doubt as HOF'ers

[/ QUOTE ] Most people that are fans of baseball would probably say Molitor is a first ballot HoF. The fact that you don't means you haven't looked at his numbers, or you cannot infer from his numbers that he is a HoF'er
Old 08-04-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
6 mvp's isnt racking up yards in a b league

[/ QUOTE ]
That's all nice and I'm sure his mother is very proud of him, but the fact remains that he did it in a B LEAGUE. What'd he do in the real league? He was above average for a few years. I certainly wouldn't object to his entry into a CFL HoF or a Football Hall of Above Average. I suppose you could put them in the same building.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wouldn't object to his entry into a CFL HoF or a Football Hall of Above Average. I suppose you could put them in the same building.

[/ QUOTE ] I am dying man [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] LOL [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-04-2004, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The HOF should be for players that you wouldn't doubt as HOF'ers

[/ QUOTE ] Most people that are fans of baseball would probably say Molitor is a first ballot HoF. The fact that you don't means you haven't looked at his numbers, or you cannot infer from his numbers that he is a HoF'er

[/ QUOTE ]

Again I really liked Paul Molitor. His baseball card is the only one of value that I own. He was a fantastic player. But to the best of my knowledge, to be a first ballot HOF'er you used to have to be a superspuperstar. (I believe the Babe was denied on his first attempt.)

Here's the thing.. People argue about Jim Rice all of the time. I say, if its even a question, don't vote him in. It should be for the real legends of the game... Koufax, Musual, Foxx, Dimaggio. I will throw up on the day that douchebag Wade Boggs gets inducted. He got 3000 meaningless hits, that's gotta be some sort of record. I'm not saying Molitor shouldn't be in the HOF. I just think the standards should be really high.