Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 05:30 PM

Default party\'s bad beat jackpot

So, the beta is over, and Party will now start taking a rake to progress the jackpot higher. Damn. However, it seems to me that there is definitely a point where, even with the added rake, the jackpot could be +EV even if the odds are highly against hitting it. First, does anyone know how much they're going to take from every pot for it? I couldn't seem to find taht information anywhere. Anyway, here are my general thoughts on it without having any of the exact numbers to back it up.

Let's consider it as just the 5000 that it has been. If you hit the jackpot, you win 2500. Let's assume that they take 1 dollar from each pot, which may or may not be true. So, you'd have to win at least once for every 2499 dollars you put in. But you don't put in money every hand, you put in money every pot you win. Let's just talk conservatively and say you win 10% of your hands, that would mean that you'd have to win the jackpot once in every 24,990 hands to make it profitable to play even with the added rake. And this doesn't factor in times where you may just be at a table where someone else hits the jackpot and you make a few bucks. Now, with the old rule that four of a kind had to be beat, I would be quite skeptical that the odds added up, or at least that they were so remote it wasn't worth taking the hit to your bankroll. However, now that the requirement is only that 10s full of Js get beat, it seems like it would almost certainly be +EV to play in the jackpot tables. And for the period at the beginning where it's 25,000 dollars to start, I can't imagine that wouldn't be +EV.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-03-2004, 05:33 PM

Default Re: party\'s bad beat jackpot

Was just at the tables... got kicked off...

They had just reduced the requirement from quad 2's beaten to QQQTT or better.

Then Bam!! Bam!!

2 jackpots hit within 10 minutes of each other.

Wow.... next i see a message that my table is "closed for maintenance".

LOL
Old 08-03-2004, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Was just at the tables... got kicked off...

They had just reduced the requirement from quad 2's beaten to QQQTT or better.

Then Bam!! Bam!!

2 jackpots hit within 10 minutes of each other.

Wow.... next i see a message that my table is "closed for maintenance".

LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

this says TTTJJ or better... hmmm
http://www.partypoker.com/news/badbeat.html
Old 08-03-2004, 05:49 PM

I've played over 100K hands and would have qualified with QQQKK losing to AAAKK once and would have been the one laying the beat either once or twice (I've taken down JJJ99 and KKKJJ with quads) depending on how big the boat neads to be.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:55 PM

This wasn't at a bad beat table, and I guess this wouldn't have even qualified, eh?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8s As (four of a kind, eights).
CO shows 9c 9s (four of a kind, nines).
Outcome: CO wins 14 BB. </font>
Old 08-03-2004, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This wasn't at a bad beat table, and I guess this wouldn't have even qualified, eh?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (8 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (4 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

River: (6 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 14 BB

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows 8s As (four of a kind, eights).
CO shows 9c 9s (four of a kind, nines).
Outcome: CO wins 14 BB. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

that would have qualified since your A kicker would play
Old 08-03-2004, 06:25 PM

that would have qualified since your A kicker would play

touche.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:29 PM

I like how CO missed about 4 BB
Old 08-03-2004, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've played over 100K hands and would have qualified with QQQKK losing to AAAKK once and would have been the one laying the beat either once or twice (I've taken down JJJ99 and KKKJJ with quads) depending on how big the boat neads to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

hmmm... I feel like i've had a number of hands where I've seen JJJ-AAA come up, and i've got a pocket pair, and that would usually qualify.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:41 PM

No need to bet the flopped nuts. The money is going to be his. Can't Bluff the pot.