Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2004, 02:56 AM

Default checkraise this river?

I thought about it then chickened out like I usually do when it comes to check-raising rivers.

Also, how do you guys play the turn on this one?

I had top pair but obviously wasn't liking it too much. Do I want the CO and Button to go away, or should I have just checked and called because from the action it isn't looking too much like my Queens are good anyway? At the time I was thinking I wanted them outta there, but I'm not so sure that was the right choice. Of course, if they want to call 2 instead I guess that's fine by me.

I'm guessing a river checkraise would be better if I had check/called the turn, so maybe it's best that I didn't try it. (Either that or I botched both of streets.)

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP1 posts a blind of $1.
<font color="666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, MP2 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks,

Flop: (6 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, MP1 calls, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (11.50 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls, Hero calls.

River: (19.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 22.50 BB, between Hero, MP2 and Button.</font>
Old 08-03-2004, 03:12 AM

Default Re: checkraise this river?

Cash, I don't think you're ahead on the turn often enough to want to drive out the people who would pay you off if the flush hits. Check-call.

Given that you bet the turn and got raised I think this would be a fine river check-raise. If you'd checked... hmmm.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:22 AM

Default Re: checkraise this river?

You don't want to C/R the river here, as with so many players remaining, I don't think MP2 is going to bet out here. He's got to fear a flush being out there, and will likely check behind you. But he'll almost assuredly call a bet.

Betting the turn is OK here, even though the flop cap from MP2 should convince you you're behind. At the very worst, he flopped a set and you have 8 clean outs. Your situation is far from grim here, although I'm really not wanting the button and CO to leave, so I would just check/call the turn.