Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2004, 05:41 AM

Default What do you do with a Maniac who is getting really lucky?

He has already cracked by KK and AK. He is getting really lucky, I feel like leaving but it presents a good oppurtunity to make some money.

On the other hand I feel not to deal with him on his good days, which includes him catching anything on the flop to beat you and others at the table.

Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2004, 05:56 AM

Default Re: What do you do with a Maniac who is getting really lucky?

This is a poor mentality to have. If he's been getting lucky he's been getting lucky. It does not have any bearing on what cards he'll hit the next hand, so theoretically speaking you should stay in this game and kick his ass.

But pyschologically if it's too stressful for you or you don't feel like you're playing your optimal game, then just pass on it and take a break.

As a 2+2'er, you should jump through rings of fire to get in a game with this player.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:11 AM

I am still at his table, I took back some money from him. I guess my frustrations are showing from not winning any good AA/KK pot today [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

One question: Should I tighten my PF hands standards even more? Or should I try to play the speculative drawing hands more (there aren't much raises PF)?
Old 08-02-2004, 07:43 AM

That's what maniacs do. They swing up BIG when they're lucky and down BIG when they're not. If you let your emotions effect your play against him, you're doing him a favor.
I think if you can't help getting emotionally involved, sometimes the best thing to do is to sit out for a while or even leave the game, watch him for a while and see if you can spot some patterns in his play, make some notes, and exploit these weaknesses next time you run into him.
The worst thing you can do is let yourself get stuck in some irrational "must win it back" mode, as this will inevitably effect the quality of your game. IMHO.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:44 AM

My SOP is to rebuy 50 BBs and wait for cards.