Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2004, 07:20 AM

Default Two sets of quads, two different results.

Tonight I had quads and faced quads, both with very different results. Anything I could have done in either hand to change the outcome for the better?

Hand 1
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter

SB ($35.32)
Hero ($92.29)
UTG ($23.30)
MP ($8)
CO ($27.10)
Button ($28.48)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, MP calls $0.50, CO folds, Button calls $0.50, SB completes, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, MP folds, Button calls $1.50, SB calls $1.50.

Flop: ($6.50) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($6.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($6.50) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, Button folds, SB folds.

SB - "hit ur pockets huh"

Final Pot: $13.50

In hindsight, maybe the PF-raise was what killed me. I felt so transparent the whole time, but with the K on the board, I felt a bet would have made anyone fold, and I was hoping someone would try to slow-play the K, but it never happened.

Hand 2
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (6 max, 3 handed) converter

Hero ($77.89)
BB ($48.75)
Button ($29.01)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, BB calls $0.50.

Flop: ($2) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks.

Turn: ($2) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $5</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to $25</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $45</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($92) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets $2.75 (All-In)</font>, Hero calls $2.75.

Final Pot: $97.50

Results in white below: <font color="white">
Hero shows Js Ts (straight, ace high).
BB shows Tc Qc (four of a kind, queens).
Outcome: BB wins $97.50. </font>
The $25 bet may have been excessive (especially in light of the check-raise), but after Hand 1, I was hoping to get paid for a good hand. It was a pretty obvious Full House board as well. And as it turned out, at the time all of the money went in I was about a 73% favorite.

Also was I just asking for trouble by having a $77.89 stack?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Re: Two sets of quads, two different results.

In hand 1, you have to bet the flop. There are too many cards that could cripple your action on the turn to slowplay. In hand 2, I'd either just take a flop or raise more.
Old 08-01-2004, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In hand 2, I'd either just take a flop or raise more.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is where I am having problems with 6-Max. I feel like everyone can see my cards (darn pattern mappers!) It seems like if I raise pre-flop with AA (or anything good) everyone folds if I bet out on the flop and no-one bets if you check. Is the secret to winning big to never raise pre-flop? Or am I approaching these tables wrong where I need to just "Brunson" it and and pick up small pot after small pot and hope to run into someone who doesn't go away when I really hit something big (like the guy with the QQQQ did)?

Is there any advantage to taking money off the table when you are up X amount?
Old 08-01-2004, 08:36 PM

Hand 1: You should almost never slowplay bottom set. Bet while someone still has a draw that they might call you with. That is a very draw heavy board, betting the flop is mandatory. Bet the turn also.

Hand 2: You just got unlucky when someone hit their nine-outer, you got the money in with the best hand, move on.

Justin A
Old 08-02-2004, 03:50 AM

Be very careful of this thinking. A while back I fell into the trap of trying to create action on every hand and turn them into monsters - I found that I was just trapping myself most of the time.

The thing is, unless the other guy has some kind of cards, he just isn't going to play most of the time - fish or not. Furthermore, when he does have the cards, your habit of trying to lure him in works beautifully and then he will occasionally beat you for a large pot.

I have found that in the lower stakes NL games like the $25 and $50 NL tables on Party, the hands just play themselves most of the time. That is, playing your cards straightforwardly against most of the players works just fine. When they have a hand, they will make a mistake anyways and pay you off. Occasionally you find a really tricky player even at the low limits - in those cases you just try not to get into pots with them unless you have a great hand, and when you do, then you may think about some more subtle moves.

Some players occasionally make visible mistakes or bluffs in order to advertise. I wonder how effective that is on Party though; players come and go so fast I often doubt whether people pay attention.

It's frustrating to get dealt great cards and not get value, but tell yourself how much better it is to win a small pot than to lose a large one. Save your tricky plays for your tricky opponents.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:14 AM

Thanks fpr the advice. That is exactly what I am doing. I am building up my stack playing straightforwardly until I get something I perceive to be big, then I play cute and slide back to $25, which is why I am wondering if I am better off starting over at $25 anytime I get to $50. I can seriously build it up to $50 within an hour at most tables.