Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2004, 02:36 PM

Default The Power Of Darth Vader/ How I DO Love PP $25NL!

This is not a suckout/ bad beat whine-fest, but I had had a TERRIBLE night last night in a live $3/6 limit game due to the most disgusting display of suckouts I had seen in a long time. Then, along comes this hand...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

BB ($25.75)
UTG ($21.27)
UTG+1 ($44.90)
UTG+2 ($26.35)
MP1 ($40.55)
MP2 ($26.53)
MP3 ($8.40)
DerFleisch ($48.60)
Button ($31.50)
SB ($23.50)

Preflop: DerFleisch is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, DerFleisch calls $1, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.50.

I know, I know...cold-calling with pocket 4s is a bad idea, but there had been a min-raise almost every hand, so it really meant nothing, and I had position.

Flop: ($4.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

BAM.

<font color="CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls $7.40 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">DerFleisch raises to $16.75</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $24.75 (All-In)</font>, DerFleisch calls $8.

Turn: ($61.15) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($61.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $61.15

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 8d Kd (two pair, eights and fours).
MP3 shows Ac 8h (two pair, eights and fours).
DerFleisch shows 4s 4c (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: DerFleisch wins $61.15. </font>

When the case 4 hit, I thought, "Finally!! I'm the riverER, instead of the riverEE!", as I thought for sure after the BB All-In that I was up against a higher set (the way I see it, if I don't lose a big chunk of money to set over set, I'm playing too scared) or a straight; either on the flop or definitely when the 5 hit on the turn. But, as it turns out, I didn't even need the case 4.

This only goes to show you (and re-remind myself, as I was still a bit on tilt from last night's live game): Stick to your guns...the fish WILL pay you off eventually.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: The Power Of Darth Vader/ How I DO Love PP $25NL!

Calling with pocket 4s in this spot against a min-raise is not only not bad - it's automatic.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:18 PM

Actually I like my small pairs MORE when there is a raise preflop. Given that where I play the buyin is $50 with $0.25/$0.50 blinds and my implied odds rocket high, hitting a set in a raised pot is a goldmine virtually every time. The ding-dongs I play with will never ever let AA/KK go, so I take their stack almost every time. Also, if they hit a piece of the flop I'm bound for some major payday.

I don't know if this works as good in the $25 buyin games though.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:05 PM

i agree that calling a min-raise with 44 is automatic at almost every level of nl poker. nice hand.
Old 08-01-2004, 01:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is not a suckout/ bad beat whine-fest, but I had had a TERRIBLE night last night in a live $3/6 limit game due to the most disgusting display of suckouts I had seen in a long time. Then, along comes this hand...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.50 BB (10 handed)

BB ($25.75)
UTG ($21.27)
UTG+1 ($44.90)
UTG+2 ($26.35)
MP1 ($40.55)
MP2 ($26.53)
MP3 ($8.40)
DerFleisch ($48.60)
Button ($31.50)
SB ($23.50)

Preflop: DerFleisch is CO with 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to $1</font>, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $1, DerFleisch calls $1, Button folds, SB folds, BB calls $0.50.

I know, I know...cold-calling with pocket 4s is a bad idea, but there had been a min-raise almost every hand, so it really meant nothing, and I had position.

Flop: ($4.25) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>

BAM.

<font color="CC3333">BB bets $8</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP3 calls $7.40 (All-In), <font color="CC3333">DerFleisch raises to $16.75</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises to $24.75 (All-In)</font>, DerFleisch calls $8.

Turn: ($61.15) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: ($61.15) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $61.15

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows 8d Kd (two pair, eights and fours).
MP3 shows Ac 8h (two pair, eights and fours).
DerFleisch shows 4s 4c (four of a kind, fours).
Outcome: DerFleisch wins $61.15. </font>

When the case 4 hit, I thought, "Finally!! I'm the riverER, instead of the riverEE!", as I thought for sure after the BB All-In that I was up against a higher set (the way I see it, if I don't lose a big chunk of money to set over set, I'm playing too scared) or a straight; either on the flop or definitely when the 5 hit on the turn. But, as it turns out, I didn't even need the case 4.

This only goes to show you (and re-remind myself, as I was still a bit on tilt from last night's live game): Stick to your guns...the fish WILL pay you off eventually.

[/ QUOTE ]

a long time ago i was playing UB .25/50 blinds
I limped in mp with 44 along with like 5 or 6 other players
the flop came J X X two spades. SB checked, BB checked, there was a min bet from utg, and we got a few callers one of them being SB. I thought to myself, I could hit a set(haha I am stupid)
turn came 4 of Spades. Sweet I have a set but there is a flush. checked to utg who min bet, we got a few callers one of them being SB.
River case 4. Nice I have the nuts. SB moves in, UTG calls, I call the rest of my money ~40. everyone else folds.

SB turns over JJ, hahahahaha
utg turns over Queen high flush HAHAHAHAHAH
I take home +$120

i love going runner runner, 1 outer on the turn and 1 outer on the river. I think JJ was pretty upset and typed some fighting words.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:12 AM

Can't find the hand history.. but in the vein of hitting one outers...

PP 25NL..

Hero is SB w/ 22

Folded to cutoff who min raises. Button folds. Hero calls. BB folds. HU on flop.

Flop of 732 (rb). Hero checks, cutoff bets $1. Hero calls.

Turn 2c (this puts 2 clubs on board). Cutoff bets $1. Hero calls. (I thought about raising, but didn't have anything to fear.. I felt if he had a set, he'd bet more.)

River Ac. I prayed this hit him. Hero leads out $5. Cutoff goes all-in. Hero calls.

Cutoff had AA for the rivered Aces-full. Hero, of course, quads deuces [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I was hoping he'd catch up; boy did he! Little did he know he was drawing dead. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]