Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2002, 03:01 PM

Default Slotboom/Sexton

In the current issue (#14) of Poker Digest Rolf Slotboom interviews Mike Sexton. Here is what they say about us on page 69.

RS: Do you regularly visit or even contribute to Internet discussion forums and newsgroups, such as TwoPlusTwo, rec.gambling.poker (RGP), Poker Pages, and European.poker.com? If so which do you think is best and why?

Also, on RGP you can post anything you like, but on TwoPlusTwo, a lot of posts are deleted because they are deemed offensive, inappropriate, etc. In my opinion, there is a lot less unfriendliness and personal attacking on TwoPlusTwo than on RGP, maybe because of this. On the other hand, quite a few people claim that most posters who are barred from TwoPlusTwo are barred simply because they disagree with the ones who are running the forum. Do you have any opinion on this?

MS: I do go to RGP. They are an open forum whereas TwoPlusTwo censors. I think TwoPlusTwo or any other site someone owns should be able to allow whatever they or don't want on their site. It might not lead to open discussions as appear on RGP, but they certainly have the right to run their site as they see fit.

My response: Our site has clear posting guidelines that anyone can read. Click on terms and conditions at the top of the left hand column. They mean that the only posts that we delete are blantant insults, and commercial ads that appear in the posts. Even though we get accused of it, we do not delete posts that have different points of view on strategy or other subjects than those held by the Two Plus Two authors. This is easily seen by anyone who chooses to read these forums. At anytime, there are literally hundreds of posts that take positions different from what David, Ray, or myself feel is correct, and there are thousands of posts like this in our archives.

I suspect that the reason this shot appeared is because I turned down Slotboom when he contacted me to appear in this series. I noticed that he quit posting immediately after he contacted me and received my response. It might also have something to do with the fact that he was often criticized for not being very knowledgeable when it came to limit poker -- remember his folding AK out of the small blind when there was an early position raise by a solid professional.

I also suspect that Mike Sexton is not as knowledgeable about our forums as he should be.

All comments are welcome.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Slotboom/Sexton

"All comments are welcome."

I think you're too jumpy. 2+2 is monitored. This is a fact. It's not good or bad, it's just true. No need to defend it.

I believe that you want to do well for your contributors and fans, and in that light, I think that if you spent half as much energy writing about hands as you did writing about politics, you'd have a better place here, with even better vibes than it already has.

Tommy
Old 06-21-2002, 04:15 PM

"I suspect that the reason this shot appeared..."

Whoa!! Well since you asked for comments I'll just say that you are being way, way, way too sensitive. If anything, Slotboom gives an endorsement of Twoplustwo. I mean, some one like Diane From Green Bay is obviously out to get you but Slotboom has never said anything bad about you and has, IMO, generated some thoughtful discussion on this web site w/o insulting anyone. Honestly Mason, I don't know what goes on behind the scenes between yourself and some of the folks you have issues with but I think you're just asking for more grief and teeth gnashing when you make a post such as yours.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:43 PM

I agree. Personally, I could care less about how Mason, or anyone else here for that matter, handles their interpersonal relationships with others. If you want to be an ass - then be my guest.

I happen to enjoy this forum. My only complaint is the really crappy web based format which even on a fast internet connection can be a pain the butt to navigate and is really a pain when you are trying to reply to thread and can only see the ONE message that you currently are reading. This is a pain but something I can live through.

I don't want to speak for everyone here but I'm sure I'm too off the mark when I say that the majority of us could care less about what this post says - and care even less about it's context in relation to what we all think these forums are about - which, in a nutshell is becoming better poker players. To me, this post has no relevance - whatsoever - to this and it was a waste of my time here even reading it.

The only reason I'm responding now is that I'm tired of them. The whole Abdul/Mason thing that went down a month or so ago was a disgrace - to whom or what I'm not so sure - but it was a real downer to come here and have to wade through post after post of that crap.

Honestly, I'm glad that this forum is moderated. RGP is a nightmare. While there's no doubt that there is some good info to be found there - IMO, its hardly worth wading through the spam and other trash that is posted there daily.

To sum up here - I would be just fine not seeing any crap like this anymore. I know this is a "news and views" group, but come on...
Old 06-21-2002, 06:00 PM

I agree with you on the slow ass site!!! I am connecting with a T-3 and the site still crawls!
Old 06-22-2002, 03:28 AM

Does anyone here really take Poker Digest seriously? I don't read it anymore. Low quality material IMO.
Old 06-21-2002, 04:51 PM

Mason,

I started reading and posting at this site several years ago back when there used to be just one forum. The reason why I come here is to learn the correct way to play poker to maximize my profits.

Furthermore, the first post that I have seen by Mike Sexton here is on the General Theory forum concerning a low ball hand in David's TPFAP that has not been addressed by anyone from the Two Plus Two staff. I think David should answer it, because I can't recall a situation where you or David has not responed to something about the books you publish.

Keep up the good work.

Good Luck

Mark

Old 06-21-2002, 05:08 PM

Mason,

I also want to extend my thanks to you, David and Ray for making this site possible. Some people think that RGP is a place where you have to wade through the crap to get the nuggets. I disagree, because I haven't ever found any useful poker content on that site (still visit it often for the sheer entertainment value).

I, again, have to agree that you're being too sensitive to critisism here. I understand that you're prone to be this way, given that it's your site and all the hard work that must go into it. However, I think that staying above the crap is the best way to go about it.

Personally, I think that Rolf could be a great contributor to this site, but that his absence really wouldn't kill us. Additionally, I'm sure that Mike Sexton has some solid information to share, but that he always seems to have an agenda or event to promote and that this detracts a lot from his writing.

In this particular case, it's no big deal. In the general case, staying above the fray and sticking to poker (or fishing) topics is probably the best idea.

-2d
Old 06-21-2002, 05:17 PM

marketing hint....

mason...advertise in cardplaer, other mags..the difference between 2+2 and rgp....

i am amazed how much better 2+2 is than other internet forums i participate in...keep up the gr8 work...gl
Old 06-21-2002, 06:19 PM

Default Re: opinion/fact

well, if slotboom wants to bad mouth you or your forum then hes entitled to his opinion.

'a lot of posts are deleted because they are deemed offensive, inappropriate, etc.'

but obviously this is, at best, an honest mistake. (i cant remember if you are in card player, poker digest, or both). i think there should be a blurb somewhere (your column if youre in the same magazine) which explains that 'a lot' is, in this case, about x. (what, i would guess maybe 10,20 total; an average of 1 every couple of months or something; in any case, a very, very small number, definitely not 'a lot'.)

brad