Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-30-2004, 05:22 PM

Default Brutal First Day

So I took my first step in world poker dominance yesterday. That would be a step backwards. I was playing in CA at a 3/6 hold'em game and I got creamed. I thought I was playing tight and then i realized that i hadn't participated a hand in like two orbits. The table was calling anything and i saw a pair of twos take the best hand out of 8 players. Well loosening up didn't help either.Of course when i had pocket jacks, the whole table gets their inside straight draw on the river where the odds clearly were not it their favor. WTF?! The only positive thing I got was that i was able to recognize the good player at the table (soon it will be me) and the crazies. Also the table was really passive so there was very little maniacal action going on. Very offputting. Looks like I need to hit the books some more. Let's just consider this a trainig run on future success.

was i too tight, or not tight enough? I'm sure I wasn't aggressive, but had so few hands that i could go aggressive on. The few hands i did win seemed to have everyone out of the pot by the time i even made a bet. and did i mention how quick the pace seemed? i think i might start flipping myself 5 cards over and coming up with the nuts to speed my knowledge along.

Any words of encouragement?