Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 02:48 AM

Default EV question

I'm quite new to the forums, and I'm having trouble figuring out what EV means exactly. Could someone please give me a quick description of what +EV and -EV are, help would be apprecaited. Thanks, I'll delete after I understand what this is.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:54 AM

Default Re: EV question

If you phone up your ex girlfriend at 8am you have a 20% chance of her being awake and then a 50% of her wanting to [censored] you if she's awake; meaing you get laid 10% of the time or 1 in 10 times. You're EV (expected value) is 1 in 10.

Yet if at 8am you go get a hooker you have a 90% of finding one and 100% chance of getting laid when you find one, you have a higher expeected value this time.

Of course, then you have to wieght/judge/value the sex with the ex compared to hooker. Say you have a 10% of [censored] your ex but a 20% of [censored] a hooker if the sex with your ex is more than twice as good you [censored] your ex.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:01 AM

Interesting.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you phone up your ex girlfriend at 8am you have a 20% chance of her being awake and then a 50% of her wanting to [censored] you if she's awake; meaing you get laid 10% of the time or 1 in 10 times. You're EV (expected value) is 1 in 10.

Yet if at 8am you go get a hooker you have a 90% of finding one and 100% chance of getting laid when you find one, you have a higher expeected value this time.

Of course, then you have to wieght/judge/value the sex with the ex compared to hooker. Say you have a 10% of [censored] your ex but a 20% of [censored] a hooker if the sex with your ex is more than twice as good you [censored] your ex.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very hard to take this post seriously in conjunction with your current avatar.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:47 PM

EV=Expected Value. It is the theoretical amount of money you can expect to make (+EV) or lose (-EV), on average with a given play, over an infinite series of trials.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:24 PM

Thanks